What is life?

sadaronjiggasha
From my point of view:
1) survival
2) do something good to satisfy your inner soul and for others.
3) help to continue the race of human being
4) and die
What others think about life?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A box of chocolates -- you never know what you are going to get

:wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, Astronuc and 2 others
sadaronjiggasha
@BvU what is your view about life?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Not to be taken too seriously.

:wink: number 2

##\ ##

Likes sadaronjiggasha
jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
From my point of view:
1) survival
2) do something good to satisfy your inner soul and for others.

3) help to continue the race of human being (i.e. reproduce yourself successfully)
4) and die

I struck off "survival" as I see it as part of successfully reproducing yourself. Once that is accomplished, no matter how long it takes, any life form usually dies. I really doubt that life forms where individuals live longer (i.e. "better at survival") are necessarily "better at life" than others.

I struck off "doing something good" as I really don't think nature (or God, or whatever you want to call it) cares about the well-being of any form of life per se. Usually, things that are helpful for accomplishing your mission of reproducing yourself successfully will feel good and what is not will feel bad, i.e. basic Darwinism stuff. Thus - like survival - "doing something good" is really part of the true mission in your life: reproduce yourself successfully.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and russ_watters
sadaronjiggasha
@Jack After successful reproduction done, what will be your goal to stay alive?

Nugatory
Mentor
From my point of view……
Y’know, you are not the first person who has noticed that this is an interesting open question…..

There’s lots of previous work in this area. You may want to look at how people have tried to answer the question in the past, consider which of the previous answers to this question you think are mistaken and which are on the right track and how these can be further improved or built upon.

As a Physics Forums matter, though, this discussion is likely to become philosophy. These discussions aren’t allowed, not because we (all) think the subject is unimportant or uninteresting, but because of the difficulty of effectively moderating them.

Likes Klystron, topsquark and russ_watters
sadaronjiggasha
I asked here because I wanted the view of people who think scientifically not religiously. Otherwise so many people start to give advice me religiously. Just wanted to avoid them. (May be someone answer my question as "human are like another animal whose main goal is to reproduce itself" then you can move the topic to biology and medical, as human psychology falls into medical subject )

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
people who think scientifically not religiously
This assumes facts not in evidence.

PF has no requirements on the religion or lack thereof of its participants.

Plenty of scientists were religious people. Georges Lemaitre was a Catholic priest. Gregor Mendel was an Augustinian friar and abbot. I could go on.

Likes topsquark, russ_watters, sadaronjiggasha and 1 other person
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have discovered I am a low-key hedonist.
My purpose in life is quite self-serving: my purpose is to observe, experience and enjoy.

• Haha
Likes topsquark, russ_watters and sadaronjiggasha
sadaronjiggasha
What I ment despite their personal believe they will discuss logically. They would not say anything that they can't proof themself.

Last edited:
DennisN
Gold Member
Likes pinball1970 and sadaronjiggasha
berkeman
Mentor
Thread closed for Moderation.

Update -- Thread will remain closed. We do not hold philosophical discussions at PF.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, phinds, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

Suggested for: What is life?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies