Understanding the Limit of 1/x as x Approaches 0: Uncovering the Error

• Thread starter coldboyqn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Taylor Series of \frac{1}{x^2} and the limit as x approaches 0. It is noted that the Taylor Series converges in the interval (0,2a) and can be used to evaluate the limit, but only in that specific interval. Multiplying the Taylor Series by x and evaluating at x=0 does not give the same result as evaluating (1/x^2)*x at 0, as the Taylor Series diverges at 0. Therefore, the conclusion that the limit is 0 is incorrect and it is necessary to use more careful calculation to show that the limit actually diverges.
coldboyqn
I am doing something that I sure that I'm wrong, but I cannot realize the error. See as below:
[tex]
\frac{1}{x}=x\times\frac{1}{(x^2)} ________\(1\)
[/tex]

Taylor Series of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]:
[tex]
\frac{1}{x^2}=\frac{1}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty g(k)(x-\alpha)^k
[/tex]

In which
k is from 1 to infinity,
[tex]
g(k)=(-1)^k\times\frac{(k+1)!}{\alpha^{(k+2)}k!}\\\\
=\frac{(-1)^k\times(k+1)}{\alpha^{(k+2)}}
[/tex]

Substitute Taylor Series of 1/x^2 into (1), we obtain:
[tex]\frac{1}{x}=\frac{x}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty g(k)(x-\alpha)^k[/tex]
So: [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} \frac{1}{x}=\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} (\frac{x}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty x\times g(k)(x-\alpha)^k)=0 (??!?)
[/tex]
Can anyone show me, please?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to check the radius of convergence of the taylor series. Note if you don't multiply by x, you get the limit as x->0 of 1/x^2 to be 1/a^2, where a is arbitrary. (I'm assuming alpha=a^2)

I see that if using the Taylor series above to determine the value of [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}}\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] we will obtain infinity, which is according?

You're right. Sorry, I should have read your question more carefully. The problem is that the last limit isn't 0. You can't just plug in 0 to get the limit, as the function isn't continuous at x=0. More careful calculation should show that limit diverges as well.

Wouldn't it be best to draw a graph? Especially when it's possible.

StatusX said:
The problem is that the last limit isn't 0. You can't just plug in 0 to get the limit, as the function isn't continuous at x=0.
Surely the last limit isn't 0. But my problem is that the strange result I obtain when
I treat [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] as [tex]x\times TaylorSeries\_of(\frac{1}{x^2})[/tex].
I wonder where is my error when I calculate the limit by this method!

It isn't hard to check the series converges precisely in (0,2a), and in this region it converges to 1/x^2. If you multiply it termwise by x, you get a series that converges in [0,2a). But there's no reason to expect that series evaluated at x=0 to give you the same thing as (1/x^2)*x evaluated at 0, since the taylor series did not converge at x=0. You can prove the limit diverges explicitly, and the easiest way to do this is just to prove the series does converge to 1/x in (0,2a).

Oh, yes, I see. As the Taylor Series of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] diverges at 0, I cannot simply multiply it with x to evaluate 1/x at 0, right? And it is unreasonable to multiply an expression that diverges (to [tex]\infty[/tex]) with a variable that come to zero and conclude that the multiplied expression come to zero, right?
Thanks for explanation, I understand now.

1. What does "lim(x->0)1/x=0" mean?

This notation is called a limit and it represents the value that a function approaches as its input (x) approaches a specific value (in this case, 0). The expression "1/x" is the function being evaluated and the result of this limit is 0.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a function?

To calculate a limit, you need to substitute the specific value (in this case, 0) into the function and see what the resulting output is. If the resulting output is a finite number, then that is the limit. If the output is undefined or infinite, then the limit does not exist.

3. Why is the limit of 1/x equal to 0 as x approaches 0?

The limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 0 because as x gets closer and closer to 0, the value of 1/x becomes larger and larger (approaching infinity). This means that the function is getting closer and closer to 0 as x approaches 0, and therefore the limit is 0.

4. Can you graph the function lim(x->0)1/x=0?

No, it is not possible to graph this function because it is not defined at the point x=0. The graph of a function requires a point to be plotted at x=0, but in this case, the function is undefined at that point.

5. What is the significance of the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0?

The limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 is significant because it represents the behavior of the function as it approaches a specific value. In this case, the function approaches 0 as x approaches 0, which means that the function is continuous at that point. This information is important in understanding the overall behavior and properties of the function.