1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is lim(x->0)1/x=0?

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    I am doing something that I sure that I'm wrong, but I cannot realize the error. See as below:
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{x}=x\times\frac{1}{(x^2)} ________\(1\)
    [/tex]

Taylor Series of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]:
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{x^2}=\frac{1}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty g(k)(x-\alpha)^k
    [/tex]

In which
    k is from 1 to infinity,
    [tex]
    g(k)=(-1)^k\times\frac{(k+1)!}{\alpha^{(k+2)}k!}\\\\
    =\frac{(-1)^k\times(k+1)}{\alpha^{(k+2)}}
    [/tex]

Substitute Taylor Series of 1/x^2 into (1), we obtain:
    [tex]\frac{1}{x}=\frac{x}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty g(k)(x-\alpha)^k[/tex]
    So: [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} \frac{1}{x}=\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} (\frac{x}{\alpha}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty x\times g(k)(x-\alpha)^k)=0 (!?!?!?)
    [/tex]
    Can any one show me, please?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You need to check the radius of convergence of the taylor series. Note if you don't multiply by x, you get the limit as x->0 of 1/x^2 to be 1/a^2, where a is arbitrary. (I'm assuming alpha=a^2)

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    I see that if using the Taylor series above to determine the value of [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}}\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] we will obtain infinity, which is according?

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

You're right. Sorry, I should have read your question more carefully. The problem is that the last limit isn't 0. You can't just plug in 0 to get the limit, as the function isn't continuous at x=0. More careful calculation should show that limit diverges as well.

6. Nov 13, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wouldn't it be best to draw a graph? Especially when it's possible.

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6
    Surely the last limit isn't 0. But my problem is that the strange result I obtain when
    I treat [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] as [tex]x\times TaylorSeries\_of(\frac{1}{x^2})[/tex].
    I wonder where is my error when I calculate the limit by this method!

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

It isn't hard to check the series converges precisely in (0,2a), and in this region it converges to 1/x^2. If you multiply it termwise by x, you get a series that converges in [0,2a). But there's no reason to expect that series evaluated at x=0 to give you the same thing as (1/x^2)*x evaluated at 0, since the taylor series did not converge at x=0. You can prove the limit diverges explicitly, and the easiest way to do this is just to prove the series does converge to 1/x in (0,2a).

9. Nov 15, 2006 #8
    Oh, yes, I see. As the Taylor Series of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] diverges at 0, I cannot simply multiply it with x to evaluate 1/x at 0, right? And it is unreasonable to multiply an expression that diverges (to [tex]\infty[/tex]) with a variable that come to zero and conclude that the multiplied expression come to zero, right?
    Thanks for explanation, I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook