Magnetism: Properties, Effects & Uses - 65 Chars

• Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary: Take a magnet and put it on a sheet of paper. Then hold the paper up to a light and you'll see that the magnet will light up. This is because the magnet is attracted to the light.Now, take the paper off the magnet and hold it up to the light again. You'll see that the magnet doesn't light up because it's no longer attracted to the light.So when a magnet interacts with a magnetic material, is the attraction mutual or is it only the magnet exerting magnetic force on the iron?Mutual.
dibilo
Homework Statement:: Is magnetism a property of materials? Can magnetism be increased, decreased or even completely removed from a material?
Relevant Equations:: Nil

Dear seniors,

This isn't my homework but this simple word "magnetism" has been bothering me for some time.

I know that a magnet can be weakened by hitting and by heating.

I also know that magnetism allows for magnets to interact with ferromagnetic objects as well as other magnets. They are able to do so because at atomic level, the poles are aligned in the same way.

So my question is, when a magnet is being heated and when the poles of the atoms are in disarray, can I say that the magnet has lost its magnetism? Is this an accurate way of saying?

Also, what happens when a magnet attracts a magnetic material?

Does the magnetic material at the same time also exerts magnetic force of attraction on the magnet too?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
dibilo said:
So my question is, when a magnet is being heated and when the poles of the atoms are in disarray, can I say that the magnet has lost its magnetism? Is this an accurate way of saying?
Molecules keep their magnetic properties even in heated condition. Heat disturbs arrangement of molecules so that cancellation take place and total sum of magnetism is zero.

So is it fair to say that heat can cause a magnet to lose its magnetism?

Also for part 2 of my question, when a magnet interacts magnetic material, eg a piece of iron, is the attraction mutual or is it only the magnet exerting magnetic force on the iron?

Likes sophiecentaur and etotheipi
dibilo said:
Also, what happens when a magnet attracts a magnetic material?

Does the magnetic material at the same time also exerts magnetic force of attraction on the magnet too?
It's easy enough to demonstrate that a piece of steel will exert a force on a magnet. All you have to do is bring the piece of steel close to the magnet and see that the magnet is pulled by the piece of steel.

dibilo said:
So is it fair to say that heat can cause a magnet to lose its magnetism?
Here's a neat little demo.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects attract or repel each other based on their magnetic fields.

What are the properties of magnets?

The properties of magnets include polarity, attraction and repulsion, and the ability to induce magnetism in other objects.

What are the effects of magnetism?

The effects of magnetism include the attraction or repulsion of objects, the creation of magnetic fields, and the ability to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What are some uses of magnetism?

Magnetism is used in a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic storage devices like hard drives.

How does magnetism relate to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related, as moving electric charges create magnetic fields and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.