Mass, Inertia, Charges & Space-Time: Positioning in Order

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass and inertia, and the concept of charges without mass. It also touches on the idea of one giant planet and its potential existence in an infinite space. The possibility of massless particles, such as virtual particles and neutrinos, is also brought up, with the reminder that classical intuitions may not apply in understanding them.
Reflector
Things would need to have 'mass' in order to have inertia and be defined somewhere in space-time? If 'charges' did not have mass where would they exist (relative to each other)? More mass = more inertia (harder to change position). Order the position of charges with mass to allow them to interact. You can't have one giant planet for some reason. You need lots. If you had one giant planet 'where' would it exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, things do not have to have mass in order to "be defined". Light has no mass and there are several fundamental particles that MIGHT have no mass. I don't understand what you mean by " Order the position of charges with mass to allow them to interact".

I would think one "giant planet" could exist where ever it wanted! Could you explain your " 'where' would it exist"?

If there was only one giant planet, the surrounding space would be infinite, therefore the planet's position would be anything, everywhere, infinite. That's what I mean. It could not exist anywhere because it could exist anywhere else... The other point is that if charges did not have mass they could not exist anywhere relative to each other. Has there ever been a massless charged particle in a vacuum? I could be wrong. This is just is just the way I make sense of it. I'm looking for replies also to see what other people think.

Last edited:
Virtual particles may no have mass in the conventional sense - and there is the neutrino that exhibits such a small mass that it is undetectable - yet it carries a large angular momentum that is normally associated with rotating masses in classical physics

You've got to watch out with fermions like the neutrino; their angular momentum is from quantum spin, a non-classical phenomenon. So you can't use classical intuitions based on rotating masses to understand them.

1. What is mass and how does it affect objects?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object. It is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it.

2. What is inertia and how does it relate to mass?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. It is directly related to an object's mass - the greater the mass, the greater the inertia. This means that objects with more mass require more force to change their state of motion.

3. What is charge and how is it measured?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it will interact with electric and magnetic fields. It is measured in units of coulombs (C).

4. How does space-time affect the positioning of objects?

Space-time is a mathematical concept that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It affects the positioning of objects by defining the relationship between an object's location and the time at which it exists in that location.

5. What is the importance of understanding mass, inertia, charges, and space-time in science?

These concepts are fundamental to understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They allow us to make predictions and calculations about the motion and interactions of objects, and have played a crucial role in the development of modern physics and technology.