Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is materia?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    can anyone answer these questions:

1. what is materia
    2. can materia be without mass

this is for now
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Gold Member

I'm not actually sure whether you mean 'matter' or 'material', which are not the same thing. Matter cannot be without mass (although neutrinos come close). The term 'material' generally refers to something like cloth, wood, steel, etc. that is used as a component in manufacturing something, or as an adjective to describe something as having substance.
  4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    thanx for explanation

i was thinking about matter/antimatter

which particles are made from matter?
    which particles are made from antimatter?

what is photon? is it M or AM ?
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4

Gold Member

All massive particles that you experience in everyday life are matter. That includes protons, electrons, neutrons, neutrinos, and several other more esoteric critters.
    Antimatter doesn't seem to exist in nature in any appreciable amounts other than as transition particles in various decay sequences. It is the same structurally, but such things as electric charge and spin are reversed. A positron, for instance, is an antimatter version of an electron and is positively charged. If the two come into contact, they are completely converted to energy.
    A photon, being massless, is pretty much its own antiparticle. It isn't really considered to be matter or antimatter.
    You really should check out the Physics section of the forum, where there are a lot of discussions about this by the experts. I don't know much about it myself, so I'm afraid that I can't be of further help to you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?