Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is math grad school like?

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    I've decided to major in mathematics but I need to know something: so, what exactly does a graduate student in mathematics do?

I assume a grad student in physics, chemistry, or biology will spend their academic time in class and performing experiments with there professors, but a mathematician has no experiments to perform.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    That's kind of funny; I asked almost the exact same question back in October. Here's a link to that thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=343271

fantispug gives a wonderful answer, however I've done quite a bit of reading (and studying) since then and I feel that there is one additional element that should be emphasized. fantispug touches on it when he says,
    However, Steven Krantz (A Mathematician's Survival Guide), Courant & Robbins (What Is Mathematics?), Ian Stewart (Letters To A Young Mathematician, as well as the introduction to the second edition of WIM?), come right out and say it, but I think it was best expressed in this (perhaps) apocryphal story about David Hilbert from Derbyshire's book Prime Obsession:

The point being, imagination and creativity are essential for (pure) mathematics research, a revelation that rather surprised me when I stumbled across it and one that is quite a bit removed from my previous misconception that it would only involve a great deal of number-crunching and calculating.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    Its actually, quite a bit more boring than this. Most of my time is spent just doing homework and projects and helping other people with their homework and projects. Research is only done when I have free time which isn't very often.

Although I'm an engineering major, I would imagine mathematics wouldn't be that much different.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook