What is meant by rate of change of accelration? how to measure it

In summary, jerk is the rate of change of acceleration, which can be calculated by measuring the applied force on an object and dividing it by the mass. This process assumes that air resistance and friction are not significant factors. Jerk can also be measured using an accelerometer, which measures the acceleration of an object. However, there is no specific instrument to measure jerk, as it is a calculated value based on the change in acceleration over time.
indianmc
my doubt is what is meant by rate of change of acceleration? how can i measure it in dyanmic condition? if it realated to machene tools, the movement of the slides acceleration has to be changed continuosly for different application . how we can measure it

Physics news on Phys.org
The most direct way to calculate rate of change of acceleration (also known as "jerk")
is if you can measure the applied force on an object. The acceleration of the object will be the force divided by the mass (not weight, but mass) of the object.

The change in acceleration will be the change in force divided by the mass.

The rate of change of acceleration will be the change in acceleration divided by the time it took to make that change.

Edit: This process assumes that air resistance and friction are not a significant factor.

clear definition about jerk. want more infromation related to term called jerk

Chi Meson said:
The most direct way to calculate rate of change of acceleration (also known as "jerk")
is if you can measure the applied force on an object. The acceleration of the object will be the force divided by the mass (not weight, but mass) of the object.

The change in acceleration will be the change in force divided by the mass.

The rate of change of acceleration will be the change in acceleration divided by the time it took to make that change.

Edit: This process assumes that air resistance and friction are not a significant factor.
dear sir,

i want to know more about jerk only. please explai a bit

one of my friend mentioned in the front page itself that it can be measeured by usring accelorometer. how it exactly. works. i am not worried about plotting the results .but my thinking is how we can measure rate of cahnge of acceleration. just like speed is measeure by using speedometer. current by ammeter like that is there is any instrument to meausre jerk

thanking u

Last edited:
dear sir,

i want to know more about jerk only. please explai a bit

one of my friend mentioned in the front page itself that it can be measeured by usring accelorometer. how it exactly. works. i am not worried about plotting the results .but my thinking is how we can measure rate of cahnge of acceleration. just like speed is measeure by using speedometer. current by ammeter like that is there is any instrument to meausre jerk

1. What is meant by rate of change of acceleration?

Rate of change of acceleration refers to the measurement of how quickly the acceleration of an object is changing over time. It is a measure of the object's change in velocity per unit of time.

2. How is rate of change of acceleration different from acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing, while rate of change of acceleration specifically measures how quickly the acceleration is changing over time.

3. How do scientists measure rate of change of acceleration?

Scientists typically use a device called an accelerometer to measure acceleration and its rate of change. The accelerometer measures the acceleration of an object in a specific direction and can also calculate the rate of change over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding rate of change of acceleration?

Rate of change of acceleration is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is used to analyze the movement and behavior of objects. It is also crucial in the development and testing of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure their safety and performance.

5. Can rate of change of acceleration be negative?

Yes, rate of change of acceleration can be negative, indicating a decrease in acceleration over time. This could occur when an object's velocity is decreasing and its acceleration is slowing down.