Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is meant by rate of change of accelration? how to measure it

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    my doubt is what is meant by rate of change of acceleration? how can i measure it in dyanmic condition? if it realated to machene tools, the movement of the slides acceleration has to be changed continuosly for different application . how we can measure it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The most direct way to calculate rate of change of acceleration (also known as "jerk")
    is if you can measure the applied force on an object. The acceleration of the object will be the force divided by the mass (not weight, but mass) of the object.

The change in acceleration will be the change in force divided by the mass.

The rate of change of acceleration will be the change in acceleration divided by the time it took to make that change.

Edit: This process assumes that air resistance and friction are not a significant factor.

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    clear definition about jerk. want more infromation related to term called jerk

dear sir,

i want to know more about jerk only. please explai a bit

one of my friend mentioned in the front page itself that it can be measeured by usring accelorometer. how it exactly. works. i am not worried about plotting the results .but my thinking is how we can measure rate of cahnge of acceleration. just like speed is measeure by using speedometer. current by ammeter like that is there is any instrument to meausre jerk

thanking u

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  5. Sep 16, 2005 #4
    dear sir,

i want to know more about jerk only. please explai a bit

one of my friend mentioned in the front page itself that it can be measeured by usring accelorometer. how it exactly. works. i am not worried about plotting the results .but my thinking is how we can measure rate of cahnge of acceleration. just like speed is measeure by using speedometer. current by ammeter like that is there is any instrument to meausre jerk

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?