Answering Questions About ∞: Arithmetic Operators, Results & More

• Thread starter jacket
  • Start date
It seemed like you might have actually wanted to know why he bothered to bring 120 into it, and that's what I wanted to find out.
jacket
I know ∞ is not really a number. It represents 'greater than every real number'. And for any real number x, we can say
-∞ < x < +∞

Now, my questions are -
(A) how come arithmetic operators interact with ∞ if it is not a number?
(B) what are the results for the expressions below?
(C) and also why we do have results for these if ∞ is not a number?

01. (+∞) + (+∞) =
02. (-∞) + (-∞) =
03. (+∞) + (-∞) =
04. (+∞) - (+∞) =
05. (+∞) - (-∞) =
06. (-∞) - (-∞) =
07. (+∞) * (+∞) =
08. (-∞) * (+∞) =
09. (-∞) * (-∞) =
10. (+∞) / (+∞) =
11. (+∞) / (-∞) =
12. (-∞) / (+∞) =
13. (-∞) / (-∞) =
14. (+∞) + any real number > 0 =
15. (-∞) + any real number > 0 =
16. (+∞) - any real number < 0 =
17. (-∞) - any real number < 0 =
18. (+∞) * (any real number > 0) =
19. (+∞) * (any real number < 0) =
20. (-∞) * (any real number > 0) =
21. (-∞) * (any real number < 0) =
22. (+∞) * 0 =
23. (-∞) * 0 =
24. (+∞) / (any real number > 0) =
25. (+∞) / (any real number < 0) =
26. (-∞) / (any real number > 0) =
27. (-∞) / (any real number < 0) =
28. (+∞) / 0 =
29. (-∞) / 0 =
30. (+∞) ^ (any real positive number except 0, 1) =
31. (+∞) ^ (any real negative number except 0, -1) =
32. (-∞) ^ (any real positive number except 0, 1) =
33. (-∞) ^ (any real negative number except 0, -1) =
34. (+∞) ^ 0 =
35. (+∞) ^ 1 =
36. (+∞) ^ -1 =
37. (-∞) ^ 0 =
38. (-∞) ^ 1 =
39. (-∞) ^ -1 =
40. (+∞) ^ (+∞) =
41. (-∞) ^ (-∞) =
42. (+∞) ^ (-∞) =
43. (-∞) ^ (+∞) =
44. 1 / (+∞) =
45. 0 / (+∞) =
46. 1 / (-∞) =
47. 0 / (-∞) =
48. 0 / 0 =
49. 1 / 0 =
50. 0 / (+∞) =
51. 0 / (-∞) =
52. 1 ^ (+∞) =
53. 1 ^ (-∞) =
54. 0 ^ (+∞) =
55. 0 ^ (-∞) =

I know that is long. But I will very much appreciate your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Every expression in the list above should be interpreted as a shortened form of a problem involving limits. For example, #1 stands for $$ \lim_{x, \ y \ \to +\infty} (x + y) = +\infty $$ This can be proved rather trivially. ## x \to \infty ## means that for any given ## X > 0 ## there is ## x > X ##; same for ## y ##. Thus, if given any ## Z > 0 ##, let ## X = Y = Z/2 ##, then there are ## x > X = Z/2 ## and ## y > Y = Z/2 ##, so ## x + y > Z ##, which means ##(x + y) \to \infty##.

#22 is trickier. It can mean two things: $$ \lim_{x \to +\infty} x \cdot 0 $$ and $$ \lim_{x \to +\infty, \ y \to 0 } x \cdot y $$ The first of these is zero. The second cannot be resolved unless some relationship between ## x ## and ## y ## is known. For example, if ## y = x^{-1} ##, then, obviously, the limit is 1. If ## y = x^{-2} ##, then the limit is zero. If ## y = x^{-1/2} ##, the limit is ##+\infty##. If ## y = -x^{-1/2} ##, the limit is ##-\infty##.

Likes 1 person
1. "I know ∞ is not really a number"
----------------
Incorrect.
Infinity is not a real number, but might perfectly well be a number in another number system than the reals.

goldust said:
Infinity represents a value as big as you want it to be.[/url]

Am I allowed to prefer it to be equal to 5?

goldust said:
Infinity represents a value as big as you want it to be. That's the way I think of it. However, infinity cannot be a number because of Aleph numbers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleph_number

You're equivocating here. The "infinity" referred to in set theory (i.e. the cardinal numbers) is not the same as the "infinity" referred to in analysis in the context of limits, or the extended real line. The word has many different meanings in different disciplines.

arildno said:
Am I allowed to prefer it to be equal to 5?
Of course- for sufficiently large values of 5!

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
:biggrin:

HallsofIvy said:
Why bring 120 into this?

HallsofIvy said:

oay said:
Why bring 120 into this?
The exclamation point is punctuation, not factorial. HoI is being facetious...

Mark44 said:
The exclamation point is punctuation, not factorial. HoI is being facetious...
You don't say... :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell whether you were asking seriously or were attempting to be humorous...

Mark44 said:
I couldn't tell whether you were asking seriously or were attempting to be humorous...
If you seriously thought I was talking about 5! being 120 then I think you have to check your funny bone.

I'm not saying any of the recent posts were particularly funny, but I was just adding to the "comedy" which HoI started. o:)

People on this forum write all sorts of stuff that seems ridiculous, but that they seriously mean. Since you gave no indication that you were asking with tongue firmly placed in cheek, how was I to know? In your later posts you included the smiley faces, so I could tell your intention.

Mark44 said:
People on this forum write all sorts of stuff that seems ridiculous, but that they seriously mean. Since you gave no indication that you were asking with tongue firmly placed in cheek, how was I to know? In your later posts you included the smiley faces, so I could tell your intention.
arildno obviously was on the same lines as me. ie we both knew HoI was having a joke.

Nothing more to be said really.

oay said:
arildno obviously was on the same lines as me. ie we both knew HoI was having a joke.
It's not about whether HoI was being facetious - that was clear to me as well. What I'm saying is that it wasn't clear to me whether you got that joke.

1. What is the concept of infinity in mathematics?

The concept of infinity in mathematics refers to a quantity or value that has no end or limit. It is often represented by the symbol ∞ and is used in various mathematical operations and equations.

2. How do arithmetic operators work with infinity?

Arithmetic operators such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be used with infinity in mathematical equations. For example, when adding a finite number to infinity, the result will always be infinity. However, when dividing a finite number by infinity, the result will be approaching zero.

3. Can infinity be used as a number?

No, infinity is not considered a number in mathematics. It is a concept or symbol that represents a value that is unbounded or limitless. It cannot be used in the same way as other numbers in mathematical operations.

4. What are some common misconceptions about infinity?

One common misconception about infinity is that it is the largest or highest number. In reality, infinity is not a number and cannot be compared to finite numbers in that way. Another misconception is that infinity can be used as an exact value in calculations, when in fact it is an abstract concept that cannot be quantified.

5. How is infinity used in real-world applications?

Infinity is often used in theoretical and abstract mathematics, but it can also have practical applications in real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used in calculus to represent limits and in computer science to represent infinite loops. It is also used in fields such as physics and astronomy to describe concepts such as infinite space or time.