What is Metaphysics for ?

• Thread starter ryokan
  • Start date
Shoshana said:
I am not sure this is a very effective statement if you want to get your point across. I am also pretty sure you don't really want it revealed who some of these people are who you are viciously attacking, even after so many have been kind to you.
Do you really want an open forum of Who's Who here?
S
What's so special about Harvard men? Nothing.

Kurt Vonnegut

He should know, he went there.

Even more dangerous

wuliheron said:
What's so special about Harvard men? Nothing.

Kurt Vonnegut

He should know, he went there.
Well we're not at Harvard Darlin. Ya know...don't even ask...don't even go there. It's obviously so far out of your league that you can't even have the smallest amount of respect for Harvard.

Towards Unification

ryokan said:
And the results obtained by such method?

Is Science only a method?

Is Metaphysics too a method? Only a method?

Is there anything that be not only a method, but a whole of knowledge?
If we call this discussion something besides PHILOSOPHY we might side step the brutal attacks from people whose sensitivities are effect-ed by our stretching in all different ways to find or perhaps create a common language in order to communicate some of these truly unique forays into a topic that might need a fresh start.
I REALLY like the term "a whole of knowledge". It inspires thoughts of totality, unification, boundlessness, continuity and things like this. For me anyway. Any model we take into consideration under these conditions call for new terminology and the willingness to look at as much of the whole as we can,... increasing each day... as we leave BELOVED EGO outside the door of the meeting hall.
Onward!
S

pseudophilosophy?

wow that sounds cool, i'll take it as a compliment...
i'd like someone to clarify what 'real' philosophy is, as at the moment it seems to me an elitist acedemic code aimed not at simplification but complexifying things that surely need no more of that. didn't philosophy in the truest sense die out earlier last century with dudes like wittgenstein bringing things down to earth a little?

still, i'd call the issues within these forums philosophical, which brings us back to the original question concerning metaphysics.

ya science is a method, and one that can be applied to many things, not just the obviously 'physical' things, but to have a method is to have an aim, hypothesis etc. these things are influenced by philosophy/metaphisics (and any other fundamental beliefs), no?

Last edited:
magus niche said:
wow that sounds cool, i'll take it as a compliment...
i'd like someone to clarify what 'real' philosophy is, as at the moment it seems to me an elitist acedemic code aimed not at simplification but complexifying things that surely need no more of that. didn't philosophy in the truest sense die out earlier last century with dudes like wittgenstein bringing things down to earth a little?

still, i'd call the issues within these forums philosophical, which brings us back to the original question concerning metaphysics.

ya science is a method, and one that can be applied to many things, not just the obviously 'physical' things, but to have a method is to have an aim, hypothesis etc. these things are influenced by philosophy/metaphisics (and any other fundamental beliefs), no?
Good! We call it philosophy, Captain, but in order to build towards a hypothesis, how do we employ our concisiousness or imagination to take us into such abstract concepts that would mirror the limited established foundations of physical science.
Wuiheron said long ago that if we want something from nothing we have to work hard.
Well, what I think we need is Nothing from something. I can't say that I don't have a clue as to how we might do this as I have been working with others on this professionally for years. 20 plus years.
But after all the hard work, I am ready to hold our one ace and toss the rest back and take a new draw.
S

wuliheron said:
Words only have demonstrable meaning according to their function in a given context. This includes, of course, the phrase, "Whole of Knowledge".

Just what the heck does that mean?
The possibility that Science be a whole of knowledge, not only a method, as it is clear in the whole of the phrase of my question.

Your constant appeal to "context", even when context is absolutely obvious, changes a discussion in a unended play of words. :zzz:

Best wishes.

making nothing from something, or something from nothing would suggest to me a 'nonphysical' goal, ie. of the mind/soul. is this what you mean? for example emotion, alternative states of conscioussness etc would constitute 'nonphysical' phenomena maybe. love/hate for example surely would be too complex to study on a wave/partical level, although they definately manifest on such a level. theories on energy are important though, and the balance between binaries like give/take, cause/affect etc could be clues as to how to study systems such as these. (is this anything to do with your post?)

making something from nothing (in a physical context) would be 'creation', or 'playing god' no? and i'm sure it would be hard work! lots of energy required.
but then when i think about it more and more, virtuality using computers is somewhat something out of nothing. ie. sometimes i will become emotional while playing a computer game (sad as it may seem!!!), and indeed playing the game would be playing 'nothing', and any response would be a response simply to a bunch of numbers churning away in the background. ??

Actually come to think of it a personal reaction to any sort of sensory experience, is in a way spawned from nothing. ie. the experience may move one person (ie. a musical piece, or in fact a message on this forum) but not another person... nahh i'm just babbling on

by communicating in these forums and in general though, one is certainly able to learn about ones self and others! :smile: i know i have already...

Last edited:
magus niche said:
... nahh i'm just babbling on

by communicating in these forums and in general though, one is certainly able to learn about ones self and others! :smile: i know i have already...
"Nahh i'm just babbling on"
No, you are producing quality thought.

"learn about ones self and others!"
And perhaps you will continue do do so in some very important ways.
PLEASE STAND BY....
Shoshana

ryokan said:
The possibility that Science be a whole of knowledge, not only a method, as it is clear in the whole of the phrase of my question.

Your constant appeal to "context", even when context is absolutely obvious, changes a discussion in a unended play of words. :zzz:

Best wishes.
Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
PLEASE STAND BY.
Shoshana

What is the difference between Philosophy and Pseudophilosophy? This question would be equal to this other: What is Philosophy?

Ryokan,
I feel your right; pseudo-philosophy is about the same as pseudo-metaphysics. Both pseudo and philosophy or metaphysics are still pretty much in a catagory with to many variables. What is viable needs to be established. What doesn't work needs to be put into the closet for future consideration. There is obvously a great deal of wisdom out there. We have to stop chatting and start charting this stuff.
Please contact me.
Shoshana

Why do you come on this thread with something you were locked for on another yesterday. Do you intend to close this thread also?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that metaphysics and philosophy have always dealt with the limits of thought and reasoning. When thinking in terms of philosophy you can easily reach a point of contradiction and from there on the sky is the limit. Hegel created a complete philosophy on contradctions, Nietzsch wrote wildy insane things etc.