Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Minkowski metric?

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    If a Minkowski metric is just a constant Riemann metric? I am confused with the concept in the Finsler geometry,there Minkowski metric is defined as g=g_{ij}(y)dx^idx^j.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Riemannian metric: An inner product on each tangent space

Lorentzian metric: A symmetric non-degenerate bilinear form on each tangent space. (Same thing as an inner product except that <x,x> can be negative).

Minkowski metric: A specific Lorentzian metric on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex] with the standard manifold structure. The metric can be defined using the identity map I as a coordinate system. Define [itex]\langle x,y\rangle=x^T\eta y[/itex], where [itex]\eta[/itex] is the diagonal 4×4 matrix with -1,1,1,1 (or 1,-1,-1,-1) on the diagonal, the x and y on the left are tangent vectors, and the x and the y on the right are 4×1 matrices with components equal to the components of those tangent vectors in the "coordinate system" I.

Finsler metric: A norm on each tangent space.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook