Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is modal testing?

1. Apr 10, 2003 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,

I came across this term:

"Modal testing"

in a job description on monster.com, and I don't know what it is (at least I don't think I do...)

Anybody have an example of what a person who would be:

"Assisting in the preparation of test plans and support strength, vibration, and modal testing."

would do?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2003 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

4. Apr 10, 2003 #3
    I always think 'model'
    Here is some detail from the following link; http://www.ias.ac.in/sadhana/Pdf2000June/Pe871.pdf

The theoretical approach to structural dynamic design is classical and straightforward. A mathematical model is constructed to describe the dynamic properties of the structure in question, usually in the form of a spatial model comprising mass and stiffness descriptions
    (usually as mass and stiffness matrices) as well as some consideration of the damping effects which are likely to be present. This model is then used to predict the vibration properties of the structure in the form of its modal properties ± natural frequencies, mode shapes and modal damping factors. These describe the ways in which the structure chooses to vibrate under `natural' conditions, with no external excitation applied to it.

5. Apr 10, 2003 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, OK. I knew what it was, but I just didn't know what it was called. Thanks all.

Frustrating. I'm doing this stupid "resume, cover letter, T-letter" (at least the third time I've had the same assignment starting in 10th grade) assignment for my english class, and I find a job which is absolutely perfect for me... Just what I want to do, in the field I want to work in, 10 minutes from my house

If only I had one more year of classes under my belt.

*sigh*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?