Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is modulation in radio communication?

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    What is modulation in radio communication?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2
    Modulation is the process whereby some characteristic of a carrier wave is varied in accordance with a signal desired to be conveyed (ARRL handbook is a good resource for inquires of this type). The circuit responsible for performing this function is termed modulator. Naturally, there have been different modulation schemes developed and they fall into categories such as angle and pulse modulation.
  4. Jan 29, 2005 #3
    working on radar and radios in my shop, we are at least requiered to know a basic understanding of modulation. i'll give you the brief summary of what AETC teaches my field.
    AM - Amplitude Modulation
    this is when the apmlitude of the signal and it's sidebands are varried by a certain percent. i believe that commerical radio is 80%.
    FM - Frequency Modulation
    this is when the carrier wave's freq is varried within a certain range. and i think that commerical radio is .05MHz
    PM - Pulse Modulation
    as far as i know, this isn't used in radio, but only in radar. the pulse's freq is modulated from a lower limit to a higher limit. it is used to determine distance. i'd say more about it, but i'm not sure what parts are classified.

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4
  6. Feb 2, 2005 #5
    Thank you, it was quite interesting!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?