Moment of Inertia: A Fundamental Property of Rotating Objects

In summary: In general, torque is the derivative of angular momentum with respect to time, not angular velocity.In summary, moment of inertia is the resistance of a rigid body to angular acceleration, similar to how mass is the resistance to linear acceleration. It is derived from the equation F=ma and is quantified by the ratio between angular momentum and angular velocity (L=Iω) or torque and angular acceleration (τ=Iα). However, this equation is only valid in special cases and in general, torque is the derivative of angular momentum with respect to time.
benoconnell22
What is "moment of inertia?"

Just curious and I use it a lot but I am not entirely sure what it is. Call me an idiot but I need to know before my physics endeavors proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org

benoconnell22 said:
Just curious and I use it a lot but I am not entirely sure what it is. Call me an idiot but I need to know before my physics endeavors proceed.

It is resistance of a rigid body to angular acceleration (M=Iα), just like mass is resistance to linear acceleration (F=ma).

It is derived from F=ma. If you look at a rigid body rotating around its center of gravity, you can say each piece of the body has mass dm and experiences a force dF=Ap dm, where Ap = the total acceleration of that piece of the body. Because it is a rigid body, Ap = Ag + rω2apg + rα aT where Ag is the total acceleration of the center of gravity and the other components are angular acceleration and centripetal force since the only acceleration a piece of the rigid body can experience wrt to another piece is a rotation. If you then sum the moment of all those dF in the body around the centre of gravity, you end up with M=Iα. I can be a complicated thing so I've left out some inconvenient details.

Last edited:
yes :smile:

moment of inertia is just the ratio between angular momentum and angular velocity (L = Iω), and between torque and angular acceleration (τ = Iα)

A torque, [itex]\tau[/itex], is needed to change the angular velocity of a rotating or stationary object. The effect of the torque on the body is measured by the rate of change of its angular velocity, [itex]\alpha[/itex], or its angular acceleration. These two are directly propotional:
[itex]\alpha\propto\tau[/itex] just like its linear equivalent a[itex]\propto[/itex]F, but this is hindered by its rotational inertia, I, or moment of inertia. So [itex]\alpha\propto\frac{1}{I}[/itex] just like a[itex]\propto\frac{1}{m}[/itex]. The moment of inertia quantifies rotational inertia in rotational motion - similar to how mass quantifies inertia in linear motion.

tiny-tim said:
moment of inertia is just the ratio between angular momentum and angular velocity (L = Iω)
Correct.
and between torque and angular acceleration (τ = Iα)
This is incorrect in general. It is valid only in very special cases. High school and freshman physics classes typically address just those special cases where τ = Iα is valid, but they steer clear of the general case where this equation is invalid.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass with respect to an axis of rotation is calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of the distance from the axis. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated using integrals or by using the parallel axis theorem.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²) in the SI system. In the English system, it is measured in units of slug-foot squared (slug·ft²).

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The higher the moment of inertia of an object, the more force is required to change its rotational motion. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia will rotate more slowly than objects with smaller moments of inertia for the same applied force.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero, depending on the mass distribution and axis of rotation. Negative values may arise if incorrect assumptions are made during calculations, but in reality, the moment of inertia cannot be negative.