Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is more dangerous to eat ?

1. Sep 28, 2004 #1
    I have an assignment:
    What is more dangerous to eat: A alfa-radiation or gamma-radiation? And why?

I'm from Denmark, so I don't know if alfa-radiation and gamma-radiation are the correct words, but I hope you get the idea !

Thank you :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2

Mk

Its not really eat, its like... absorb? Alpha or Gamma? Alpha is least dangerous, then beta, then gamma, the strongest and most dangerous. Alpha cannot penetrate paper, beta cannot penetrate aluminum foil, and gamma can't penetrate, like several inches of concrete or steel

4. Sep 28, 2004 #3

Mk

I was reading about rus/russ on an online dictionary, can you tell me some interesting things about it? I heard it was in Dennmark

5. Sep 28, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, alpha would be more dangerous when ingested I think. Alpha radiation has the strongest ionizing power, then beta, gamma is the weakest. That is why alpha radiation is stopped by a piece of paper: it easily interacts with atoms, thus dangerous if you ingest it.

6. Sep 28, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You shouldn't eat any of them! :yuck:

I'm not sure. Alpha radiation might do more to damage your digestive tract, but then gamma radiation would penetrate furthest and damage a lot more than just the digestive tract. I do know gamma emitters are used in medical diagnostic tests (for example, I-125 or I-133...I can't recall which...is given orally to test for thyroid function), so they can't be too harmful or this wouldn't be a very practical diagnostic.

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

8. Sep 29, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gamma emitters are also used as a surgical knife, when focussed in a beam.. gamma emitters are also used for food sterilization.

9. Sep 30, 2004 #8

Mk

Are you sure that isn't a gamma light wave laser?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?