1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is my bandwidth?

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My message signal is the Fourier Series (x(t)) of a bipolar pulse. This signal passes through the ideal low pass filter, h(f), which has a cutoff frequency of 4Khz. What the baseband bandwidth of the filtered signal?

2. Relevant equations

ƩAn*cos(2*pi*n*f0*t), An= [4*(-1)^((n-1)/2)]/(pi*n)

In other words: x(t)=(4/pi)*[cos(2*pi*f0*t)-(1/3)*cos(2*pi*3*f0*t)+(1/5)*cos(2*pi*5*f0*t)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know if I should apply the Fourier Transform to the Fourier Series because this one is x(t) and my filter is h(f). What should I do?

Attached Files:

• FS.png
      FS.png
      File size:
      9.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, marina87! :smile:

Your Fourier Series gives you the frequency spectrum.
    For instance at ##f_0## the amplitude is ##{4 \over \pi}##, and at ##3f_0## the amplitude is ##{4 \over \pi}{1 \over 3}##.

If you apply a low pass filter, all the higher frequencies are cut off.
    To find the baseband bandwidth, you need to know what ##f_0## is.
    Do you?

4. Jul 1, 2012 #3
    I see so if my f0 is 1KHz then my bandwidth will be 3KHz.
    But if I modulate this signal with a carrier signal cos(2*pi*fc*t) I still need to use the Fourier Transform , right? In other words I still need to apply the Fourier Transform to the series or wait because I filtered the signal is not a Fourier series anymore? Am I correct?

5. Jul 1, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

So what is the highest frequency represented in your fourier series that is less than your cut-off frequency of 4 kHz?

6. Jul 1, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep. :)

There's no real need to apply a Fourier transform.
    You can read off the frequency spectrum straight from the Fourier series.

But if you would apply a Fourier transform to you Fourier series, you'll find a transform that shows you spikes at exactly the aforementioned frequencies.

Btw, the filtered series is still a Fourier series.
    It's just that the higher order terms all have amplitude zero.

7. Jul 1, 2012 #6
    3Khz but can you help me with my new analysis. I just need someone to tell me if I am in the right track.

After filtered this signal its not a Fourier Series anymore is just a "regular signal that add to cosines functions. Then I can apply the Fourier Transform right?

8. Jul 1, 2012 #7
    Sorry I am confusing you. Let me explain a little more the problem.
    First I have to filter my signal x(t) (The fourier Series) with and ideal low pass filter which has a cut off frequency 4KHz. Afther that this "new signal x1(t)" is multiply by a cos(wct) to obtain a DSB-SC modulation. I am thinking apply the Fourier transform to the modulated signal to obtain the AM expression.

9. Jul 1, 2012 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hmm, the new signal x1(t) is just the sum of 2 cosine terms.
    You can simply multiply them by your new cosine term, yielding your DSB-SC modulation.

If you want to find the frequency spectrum, the easiest way is to replace the cosine products by cosine sums, using the relevant goniometric identity.

See for instance the section "Product-to-sum and sum-to-product identities" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities

10. Jul 1, 2012 #9
    That is what I was thinking but ones I have the product of the cosines then I can use the properties of the Fourier Transform to obtain the spectrum?

11. Jul 1, 2012 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Which properties are you thinking of?

12. Jul 1, 2012 #11
    x(t)*cos(2pif0t) ----> 0.5*(X(f+f0)+X(f-f0))

If you use the Eulers formula of a cos(x)= 0.5*(e^(jx) + e^(-jx)) and then multiply by a a function x(t) then you can apply the Frequency Shift property

13. Jul 1, 2012 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes, that looks usable.

You do realize that:
    $$\cos \theta \cos \varphi = {\cos(\theta - \varphi) + \cos(\theta + \varphi) \over 2}$$
    Note that this looks a lot like your property.

14. Jul 1, 2012 #13
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook