What is my book trying to say? Is it contradicting itself with Gauss's Law and Flux?

In summary, there are two situations where there is zero flux through a closed surface: either there are no charged particles enclosed by the surface, or there are charged particles enclosed but the net charge inside is zero. However, it is incorrect to conclude that the electric field on the surface is zero in these cases. Gauss's law states that the electric flux is proportional to the enclosed charge, not the electric field. Additional symmetry is needed to determine the electric field. In the case of a hollow conducting sphere with a net charge +Q and a conducting solid sphere with a net charge -Q inside, the net charge inside the Gaussian surface is zero, but this does not necessarily mean that the electric field on the surface is also zero. Similarly, in
flyingpig

Homework Statement

My book says

In two situations, there is zero flux through a closed surface: either

(1) There are no charged particles enclosed by the surface

(2) There are charged particles enclosed, but the net charge inside the surface is zero.

For either case it is incorrect to conclude that the electric field on the surface is zero. Gauss's law states that the electric flux is proportional to the enclosed charge, not the electric field.

Now here is the thing I have two situations

(1) Consider a hollow conducting sphere with a net charge +Q and a conducting solid sphere with a net charge -Q. The solid one is inside the hollow conducting sphere. If I were to construct a Gaussian Surface over the two spheres, I get a net charge of 0. Normally in my HW problems we would just say the E-field is 0, but according to the book (case 2) this is wrong. Why?

(2) Consider just a solid conducting sphere with a charge of +Q. The net charge inside must be 0 because we are inside a conductor. I think most books got it wrong when they say the E-field is zero because there are no charges inside, clearly there are free electrons that are free to roam, but their net charge (with protons) cancel them out to make a net E-field of 0. Perhaps the excess protons and electrons go on about on the surface and all them also cancel each other until the other charges reside on the surface (hence we have terms like a net charge of negative)

Now if I were to construct a Gaussian Surface inside my conductor, I get a net charge closed (most books leave out the summation sign and really confuses me, I think it's important to not exclude it) of 0. We could conclude it is 0, but according to Case 2, I cannot.

So what is going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org

flyingpig said:
(1) Consider a hollow conducting sphere with a net charge +Q and a conducting solid sphere with a net charge -Q. The solid one is inside the hollow conducting sphere. If I were to construct a Gaussian Surface over the two spheres, I get a net charge of 0. Normally in my HW problems we would just say the E-field is 0, but according to the book (case 2) this is wrong. Why?
Just because case 2 is met (the net charge is zero) does not immediately allow you to deduce that the field is zero. Only if additional symmetry exists can you make that claim.

(2) Consider just a solid conducting sphere with a charge of +Q. The net charge inside must be 0 because we are inside a conductor. I think most books got it wrong when they say the E-field is zero because there are no charges inside, clearly there are free electrons that are free to roam, but their net charge (with protons) cancel them out to make a net E-field of 0. Perhaps the excess protons and electrons go on about on the surface and all them also cancel each other until the other charges reside on the surface (hence we have terms like a net charge of negative)

Now if I were to construct a Gaussian Surface inside my conductor, I get a net charge closed (most books leave out the summation sign and really confuses me, I think it's important to not exclude it) of 0. We could conclude it is 0, but according to Case 2, I cannot.
Again, just because you meet the minimal condition of case 2 does not allow you to immediately conclude that the field is zero. You need more to conclude that the field is everywhere zero in a conductor.

Don't confuse: Condition A does allow you to conclude B
With: Condition A contradicts B

In other words: Gauss's law tells you about the flux. You need additional info (symmetry, for instance) to use that information to find the field.

Last edited:

But it is 0. Let's just look at my second situation, inside a conductor for instance

[tex]\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} Q_1 + (-Q_2) +Q_3+...\pm Q_n}{\epsilon_0} = \oint{\vec{E}\cdot \vec{dA}}[/tex]

[tex]0 = \vec{E} (4\pi r^2)[/tex]

Anyways in all of my problems all surfaces have symmetry.

Where r cannot be zero because we know that our Gaussian Surface isn't a dot, so E must be 0

Doc Al, I dug this old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=225552&page=2

Doc Al from two years ago said this said:
In electrostatic equilibrium, the field within a conductor is zero. Regardless of shape. Don't think so? Tell us why.

Which contradicts (at least to me)

Doc Al in present time said:
In other words: Gauss's law tells you about the flux. You need additional info (symmetry, for instance)to use that information to find the field.

If you think you have shown that electrostatic equilibrium does not imply zero electric field everywhere within a conductor, you would be wrong.

I know zero flux itself does not mean the absence of a E-field, but the way the book says seems like it's saying that the E-field will never be zero.

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

My book says
"In two situations, there is zero flux through a closed surface: either

(1) There are no charged particles enclosed by the surface

(2) There are charged particles enclosed, but the net charge inside the surface is zero.

For either case it is incorrect to conclude that the electric field on the surface is zero. Gauss's law states that the electric flux is proportional to the enclosed charge, not the electric field.​

Now here is the thing I have two situations

(1) Consider a hollow conducting sphere with a net charge +Q and a conducting solid sphere with a net charge -Q. The solid one is inside the hollow conducting sphere. If I were to construct a Gaussian Surface over the two spheres, (I assume you mean the Gaussian surface is external to the spherical shell.) I get a net charge of 0. Normally in my HW problems we would just say the E-field is 0, but according to the book (case 2) this is wrong. Why?

So what is going on here?
Your text is discussing some cautions to keep in mind when using Gauss's Law.

You canNOT conclude that the E field is zero on your Gaussian surface (in your example 1) using only Gauss's Law - at least not by invoking Gauss's Law only on the single Gaussian surface you constructed.

In fact, if you place an additional charge of q ( not necessarily equal to Q) outside of your Gaussian surface, the electric flux through the Gaussian surface would still be zero, but E would be non-zero over all of your Gaussian surface.

flyingpig said:
Doc Al, I dug this old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=225552&page=2

Doc Al from two years ago said this said:
In electrostatic equilibrium, the field within a conductor is zero. Regardless of shape. Don't think so? Tell us why.

Which contradicts (at least to me)

Doc Al in present time said:
In other words: Gauss's law tells you about the flux. You need additional info (symmetry, for instance)to use that information to find the field.
Where's the contradiction? You seem to think that "Gauss's law alone does not imply zero electric field" means that "the electric field can never be zero". Why in the world would you think that?

I know zero flux itself does not mean the absence of a E-field,
It's not clear that you do. Realize that Gauss's law talks about the flux.
but the way the book says seems like it's saying that the E-field will never be zero.
The quote from your book in your first post does not say that. For the two cases they mention, you should be able to think of situations where the field is not zero.

You seem to be stuck thinking that "it is incorrect to conclude X" means that "X cannot be true". This is more a question of semantics and logic, than physics.

Doc Al said:
Where's the contradiction? You seem to think that "Gauss's law alone does not imply zero electric field" means that "the electric field can never be zero". Why in the world would you think that?

My logic is flawed...

Reading it again, Gauss's Law does indeed tell us inside the conductor the field is 0, there is doubt. What the book is trying to warn me is that do not think that the there isn't a field outside my surface, is that what they trying to tell me by on the surface?

1. What is the main message or theme of your book?

The main message of my book is to explore the concepts of Gauss's Law and Flux and their applications in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How does your book explain Gauss's Law and Flux in relation to each other?

My book explains Gauss's Law as a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge. It also explores the concept of flux as the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. Both concepts are interconnected and essential in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

3. Is there any contradiction between Gauss's Law and Flux in your book?

No, there is no contradiction between Gauss's Law and Flux in my book. They are complementary concepts that work together to explain the behavior of electric fields. Gauss's Law provides a mathematical expression for the total electric flux, while flux helps us visualize and understand the flow of electric fields.

4. How does your book illustrate the practical applications of Gauss's Law and Flux?

My book explores the practical applications of Gauss's Law and Flux in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. It includes real-world examples and problems to demonstrate how these concepts are used in designing electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of electric fields, and solving complex mathematical equations.

5. Who is the target audience for your book?

The target audience for my book includes students and professionals in the fields of science, engineering, and mathematics who are interested in understanding the principles of Gauss's Law and Flux and their applications. It is also suitable for anyone with a basic understanding of calculus and physics who wants to deepen their knowledge in these concepts.