What is my protagonist reading?

• Thread starter sayetsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, for your fantasy novel, you are looking for a book that your protagonist can be seen reading which would demonstrate her knowledge of metaphysics and quantum physics. You can consider having her read "The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg, which was a popular book in the 1970s and had a significant impact on popular understanding of the universe. Alternatively, you can have her read an online critique of Weinberg's arguments, which would show her understanding of the subject matter in a more modern context. Another option is to have her read a university textbook from 2004, such as one by Hawking, which would display her deeper understanding of the concepts. Ultimately, the choice of book should be based on your familiarity with
sayetsu
The metaphysics in my fantasy novel incorporates elements of quantum physics like the observer effect and entanglement. I'm writing a scene in which the protagonist is reading as a high-schooler in 2004. What book can I show her reading that would tell the reader she knows some about this stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Easier to just make a title up than trawl through what might have been in 2004. Most readers won't know either way, and even fewer will care.

If she likes old books, try having her read "The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg. Originating from the 1970's, Weinberg's book had an immense influence on popular notions of the Universe. Alternatively, since it is 2004, have her read an online critique crying about the deficits in Weinberg's arguments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Three_Minutes

The catch for the reader is that the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) results had recently been published but not generally well understood in 1973. Your protagonist could follow and briefly review CMBR discoveries from 1960's until 2004 with emphasis on the metaphysics of galactic formation.

With this example from cosmology you can choose a favorite author in quantum physics and follow entanglement ideas from 1904 to 2004. Keep it simple as @Tghu Verd suggests. Choose a book with which you are familiar with ideas likely known by your 2020 intended audience.

Likes member 656954
sayetsu said:
What book can I show her reading that would tell the reader she knows some about this stuff?
If you want her to display some actual knowledge then I think it is not a popular science book, but already an university textbook from that time.

Hawking?

1. What is the significance of the books that my protagonist is reading?

The books that your protagonist reads can reveal a lot about their character, interests, and values. It can also provide insight into their thought process and motivations.

2. How do the books my protagonist reads influence their actions and decisions?

The books that your protagonist reads can shape their perspective and influence their actions and decisions. Reading can expand one's knowledge and understanding of the world, which can impact their choices and behaviors.

3. How can I use the books my protagonist reads to develop their character?

The books that your protagonist reads can be used as a tool to develop their character. You can use the books to show their growth, development, and evolution throughout the story.

4. What genres or types of books should my protagonist read to make them more relatable to readers?

The best way to make your protagonist relatable is to have them read a diverse range of books that reflect the interests and experiences of your readers. This can include popular genres like romance, mystery, or fantasy, as well as more niche genres that your target audience may enjoy.

5. How can I incorporate the books my protagonist reads into the plot of my story?

The books that your protagonist reads can be used as a plot device to move the story forward. For example, a book that your protagonist reads could hold a clue to solving a mystery or provide a key piece of information that leads to a major plot twist.