Understanding .NET: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net
In summary, .NET is a framework which supports many languages, and I am not sure if web2py is similar or not. I will need to do more research to compare the two.
Avichal
I decided to explore microsoft softwares but didn't quite get it.
What is .NET and visual studio? Is it a framework to make things easier to develop or is it something more?

I till now have made C/C++ programs using vim and gcc on my ubuntu. For web I used web2py. Is .NET something like web2py (a framework) ?

Then what is ASP.NET? Why does visual studio have C#, F#, C++, Visual Basic and all these languages? Web2py only had python!

Basically I am having a tough time figuring out what actually do these softwares do!
Sorry for so many questions at once.

Technology news on Phys.org
One of my coworkers used it for it's garbage collection for a server program that ran continously, to avoid issues with constantly allocating and releasing memory. I don't know what other features it offers. Do a web search for "msdn .net", "msdn asp.net", "msdn .net garbage collection", and you should find some articles.

Visual Studio is the Microsoft IDE (integrated development environment).

What is .NET specifically? How does it support so many languages? Am I right to compare it with web2py? (I want to compare it with web2py because that's the only framework I have worked with yet)

Avichal said:
What is .NET specifically? How does it support so many languages? Am I right to compare it with web2py? (I want to compare it with web2py because that's the only framework I have worked with yet)

Which part of " Visual Studio is the Microsoft IDE (integrated development environment)" did you not understand? Do you know what a framework is? Why not just Google it and read about it?

Avichal said:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3992/What-is-NET

Second link on google for "What is .net", gives a fairly good overview.

trollcast said:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3992/What-is-NET

Second link on google for "What is .net", gives a fairly good overview.

Oh, the common language run-time answers quite a bit. Thanks for the link.
I suppose I will just play with it to understand it more. It's the layers of abstraction of the software which is confusing me.

What is .NET?

.NET is a software framework developed by Microsoft that is used to create and run web and desktop applications. It provides a programming model and libraries for building various types of applications, including web applications, mobile applications, and games.

What is ASP.NET?

ASP.NET is a web application framework within the .NET framework that allows developers to create dynamic and interactive websites, web applications, and web services. It is based on the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and supports multiple programming languages such as C#, VB.NET, and F#.

What are the benefits of using .NET?

.NET offers many benefits, including a consistent programming model, a large library of pre-built components, and a secure and scalable environment. It also supports multiple programming languages, making it flexible for developers to use their preferred language. Additionally, .NET applications can run on multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS.

What is the difference between .NET Framework and .NET Core?

.NET Framework is the original version of .NET and is used to develop and run applications on Windows operating systems. .NET Core is a newer, cross-platform version of .NET that can run on Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is also open source and modular, allowing developers to only include the necessary components for their application.

Is .NET free to use?

Yes, .NET is free to use and is included with the Windows operating system. However, there may be licensing fees for certain components or tools within .NET, such as Visual Studio, which is the primary development environment for .NET. Additionally, there are some third-party libraries and tools that may require a fee to use with .NET.