What is the reason for calling Newton a genius?

• Thread starter dodecahedron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons behind calling Newton a genius and whether or not he deserves this title. Some points are brought up, such as the fact that the inverse-square law was discovered by others before Newton and that his calculus was not as influential as Leibniz's. However, it is argued that Newton was the first to think of the heavens and the Earth as following the same laws, which was radical at the time. The conversation ends with a statement that Newton deserves the title of genius.
dodecahedron
Hi all, I have a question concerning the history of science.

You can hear everywhere that Newton is - together with Einstein - one of the greatest scientific geniuses, one of the greatest physicists, etc. pp. But what exactly is the reason for calling him a genius?

After having read a lot on Newton, I now think that
1. The inverse-square law was found by others before Newton, and he himself learned it from Hooke (1679 letter). So you can't credit him for this idea.
2. His calculus was rather useless, because he didn't use it in the "Principia" and published it after Leibniz, whose notation became much more influential. It is unknown if and to what extent Newton used his Calculus to work out his theory, but the former assumption that he first wrote his work in "fluxional form" is said to have been "laid to rest by D.T. Whiteside" (I haven't read what Whiteside says about it, though).
3. There seem to be many errors and miscalculations in the Principia, for example concering the use of hydrodynamics in shipbuilding.
4. The idea of impetus was developed before Newton, for example by Jean Buridan.
5. Without the inverse-square law of gravitation, there isn't much original or ingenious about the Principia. I don't see any idea that could be called as original as Einstein's idea of time dilation.
6. He couldn't solve the three-body-problem.
7. The famous equation F = ma was invented by Euler and cannot be found anywhere in Newton's work.
8. Much of what is called "Newtonian science" was achieved on the continent during the 18th and 19th centuries.Sure, the Principia involves many calculations which were surely very difficult to do. But who says somebody else in his time couldn't have done it? The argument that no one did it before seems weak to me because it first took the idea of inverse-square gravity, which is Hooke's idea and not Newton's. So he now seems to me rather as a sort of "mathematical labourer" instead of being a great scientific genius.

I would like to hear what you think about it, and if I am wrong at any of these observations.

Thank you very much,
dodecahedron

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. True.

2. He did co-discover it, though.

3. True, but a necessary consequence of not having a well-developed system of algebra at the time.

4. True.

5. He was actually one of the first to think of the heavens and the Earth as following the same laws, which was rather radical at the time. Not as original as Einstein, but perhaps as crazy in their days' standards.

6. I don't think anyone can.

7. Correct.

8. Correct.

So, basically, what I'm saying here is he had the courage to speak against the belief that the heavens and the Earth were fully separate realms.

dodecahedron said:
Hi all, I have a question concerning the history of science.

You can hear everywhere that Newton is - together with Einstein - one of the greatest scientific geniuses, one of the greatest physicists, etc. pp. But what exactly is the reason for calling him a genius?
Because he was.

Your list is one piece of baloney atop another.

Thread closed.

I can understand your skepticism and critical analysis of Newton's achievements. However, it is important to recognize that Newton's contributions to science were groundbreaking and revolutionary in their time. Here are some reasons why Newton is considered a genius:

1. Newton's synthesis of ideas: While it is true that the inverse-square law was known before Newton, he was the first to combine it with the laws of motion and develop a comprehensive theory of gravitation. His ability to bring together seemingly unrelated concepts and create a unified theory is what sets him apart.

2. Mathematical rigor: Newton's use of mathematics to describe and explain natural phenomena was a major leap forward in scientific thinking. He developed the branch of mathematics known as calculus, which has been essential in many areas of science, including physics and engineering.

3. Experimental approach: Newton was not just a theorist, but also an experimentalist. He conducted numerous experiments to test his theories and collected data to support his ideas. This approach was not common in his time, and it helped to solidify his theories and make them more credible.

4. Influence on future scientists: Newton's ideas and methods had a significant impact on future scientists and their work. His laws of motion and theory of gravitation have been used as a foundation for many scientific advancements, including Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Diverse contributions: While Newton is best known for his work in physics, he also made significant contributions to mathematics, optics, and astronomy. His diverse range of interests and expertise is a testament to his genius.

In conclusion, while it is true that some of Newton's ideas were not entirely original, it was his ability to synthesize and apply them in a revolutionary way that makes him a genius. His contributions to science have stood the test of time and continue to influence our understanding of the natural world.

1. What is Newton's genius?

Newton's genius refers to the incredible intellect and contributions of Sir Isaac Newton, a renowned scientist and mathematician. He is most famous for his work on the laws of motion and universal gravitation, which revolutionized our understanding of the physical world.

2. What makes Newton a genius?

Newton's genius is attributed to his exceptional ability to apply mathematical principles to solve complex problems in physics. He also had a remarkable talent for observation and experimentation, which allowed him to make groundbreaking discoveries.

3. How did Newton's discoveries impact science?

Newton's discoveries had a profound impact on science, particularly in the fields of physics and mathematics. His laws of motion and universal gravitation laid the foundation for modern physics and enabled scientists to understand and predict the movements of objects in the universe.

4. Was Newton the only genius of his time?

No, Newton was not the only genius of his time. There were many other brilliant scientists and mathematicians, such as Galileo Galilei and Johannes Kepler, who also made significant contributions to our understanding of the physical world.

5. How is Newton's genius remembered today?

Newton's genius is remembered today through his many contributions to science and mathematics, as well as the numerous honors and awards he has received. His name and work are also frequently referenced in textbooks, classrooms, and scientific discussions around the world.