States of Matter That Aren't Fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses the different states of matter and whether any of them are considered to not be fluids. The known states of matter mentioned are solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, and quark-gluon plasma, with the addition of Bose-Einstein condensate. While solids and plasmas can exhibit fluid-like behavior under certain conditions, the focus is on states where fluid behavior is not the norm.
ScientificMind
Aside from solids, are any of the known states of matter (exotic or otherwise) considered to not be fluids?
As a side note, I'd like to appologize in advance if this turns out to be posted under the wrong category of physics, I could not tell which category this would fall under and this seemed like the most accurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
ScientificMind said:
Aside from solids, are any of the known states of matter (exotic or otherwise) considered to not be fluids?

what other states of matter are you aware/familiar of/with ?
how about listing them here and then maybe doing some searching on the definitions of each :smile:

D

davenn said:
what other states of matter are you aware/familiar of/with ?
how about listing them here and then maybe doing some searching on the definitions of each :smile:

D
I currently know of solids, liquids, gasses, plasmas, and quark-gluon plasma. I have used Google in the past to find out about plasma however, and found that it seems to behave as a fluid.

ScientificMind said:
I have used Google in the past to find out about plasma however, and found that it seems to behave as a fluid.

yes and even solids can also do that
consider the earth, solid rock and appears that way on a small scale. But on a much larger scale, that of continent sized proportions
it can behave like a very viscous fluid ( and I'm not referring to the hot mantle or to lava)Dave

ScientificMind said:
I currently know of solids, liquids, gasses, plasmas, and quark-gluon plasma. I have used Google in the past to find out about plasma however, and found that it seems to behave as a fluid.
Add Bose-Einstein condensate to the cold end of that list.

davenn said:
yes and even solids can also do that
consider the earth, solid rock and appears that way on a small scale. But on a much larger scale, that of continent sized proportions
it can behave like a very viscous fluid ( and I'm not referring to the hot mantle or to lava)

Dave
Yes, I am aware that on a large scale and over long periods of time, the Earth's crust seems to behave almost as a fluid, but to my understanding, that phenomenon, like the liquid used in the Pitch Drop Experiment, this is an example of extreme situations rather than the norm. I was wondering more about states in which the norm is to not be fluid rather than in primarily just in extreme or rare examples.
mrspeedybob said:
Add Bose-Einstein condensate to the cold end of that list.
Thank you, I did not know about that one. It will be very interesting to find out more about Bose-Einstein condensate.

1. What are the three states of matter that aren't fluids?

The three states of matter that aren't fluids are solid, gas, and plasma.

2. How do you differentiate between a fluid and a non-fluid state of matter?

A fluid state of matter is one in which the molecules are able to move and flow freely, while a non-fluid state of matter has molecules that are more tightly packed and do not have the ability to flow.

3. Can a substance exist in both a fluid and non-fluid state of matter?

Yes, a substance can exist in both a fluid and non-fluid state of matter depending on its temperature and pressure. For example, water can exist as a solid (ice), liquid, or gas (water vapor) depending on the temperature and pressure it is exposed to.

4. What is the difference between a solid and a gas?

A solid has a fixed shape and volume, while a gas has neither a fixed shape nor volume and can expand to fill its container. Additionally, the molecules in a solid are tightly packed and vibrate in place, while the molecules in a gas are more spread out and move freely.

5. What is plasma and when does it occur?

Plasma is a state of matter that occurs at very high temperatures, where the molecules are ionized and the electrons are separated from the nuclei. This state of matter is commonly found in stars and lightning, and is also used in plasma TVs and fluorescent lights.