Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is nothing?

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    When I was 16, my brain began the process of sleep as I stared at the moon. Before I entered the state of sleep completely I jumped and proposed the question "What is nothing?".

Nothing = No Thing
    No = Fails to exist
    Thing = Physical Object

What is nothing? Can nothing be measured? Can something come from nothing? If one had a vaccum of nothing and dropped an egg into it, what would happen to the egg?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    Why is this moved to Philosophy? I wish to comprehend the physics of nothing.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    Think of the only reason why this thread would be moved out of the physics forums.

You should also remember that a vacuum is not nothing.

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    Nothing is .

Sorry about that but heh

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    A vacuum is an empty space, correct? If yes, what happens if the space is removed?

7. Oct 4, 2006 #6
    Newton's third law states that the actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal and directly opposite; i.e., reaction is always equal and opposite to action. The proposition seems obvious for two bodies in direct contact; the downward force of a book on a table is equal to the upward force of the table on the book. It is also true for gravitational forces; a flying airplane pulls up on the Earth with the same force that the Earth pulls down on the airplane. The third law is important in statics (bodies at rest) because it permits the separation of complex structures and machines into simple units that can be analyzed individually with the least number of unknown forces. At the connections between the units, the force in one member is equal and opposite to the force in the other member. The third law may not hold for electromagnetic forces when the bodies are far apart.

moving rocket in space were to apply its oposide force

8. Oct 4, 2006 #7
    I agree with Gelsamel Epsilon in that a vacuum does not consist of "nothing" Even if you removed all the atoms in region of soace the vacuum contains the quantum foam and virtual particles.
    The question of whether "nothing" exist is ancient. As far as we know, there is no such thing as "nothing". We don't know if the universe came from nothing. It is speculated among some astrophysicist that the universe might have come from an expolded singularity. They also speculate that the vacuum contains hidden enrgy and this is where the visible universe might have come from.
    RAD

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. Oct 5, 2006 #8
    The question,is a paradox,however,you could consider it
    an conventional means for denoting the limit of human perception.

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    I have to disagree with this point, and take dcclxxvii's stance on this point. I think nothing very well exists, outside of the universe, outside of the big bang etc. It's just that it's probably impossible to comprehend.

~Gelsamel

11. Oct 6, 2006 #10
    nothing is what you make of it, nothing is simply a term used for explaining anything not being "there" so really nothing is something and that something is nothing... the questions of life

12. Oct 6, 2006 #11
    (No) such (thing) as No-thing.
    Maybe,we can just agree on that there is no objective nothing.

13. Oct 6, 2006 #12
    So you agree that there IS nothing?

:p

14. Oct 6, 2006 #13
    You are of course entitled to your opinion and that is all it is, an opinion. I agree with you that "nothing" is difficult to understand. It is impossible to prove that "nothing" does exist. Even saying nothing exist is a contradiction of terms. I never said that "nothing" does not exist, I only stated that "as far as we know" nothing does not exist. I made no assumptions
    RAD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?