What is one-half?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
I always get confused when someone says they drank a whole half gallon of milk.
Why is this confusing? In the US, you can buy milk in a variety of quantities: pint, quart, half-gallon, and gallon. Each of these could be considered a "unit" of milk. You probably wouldn't be confused if someone said they drank a whole pint, which is a half-quart or quarter-gallon. When someone says they drank a whole half-gallon, I would interpret this to mean that they drank all of the milk in a half-gallon container; i.e., the whole thing.
Is that like drinking a half whole gallon?
Pretty much.
Is it whole milk or half and half.
"Of milk" implies that they were talking about milk, not half and half.
What's the difference between whole milk and half and half anyway.
Why don't you look it up and get back to us?
If you mix a half gallon of half and half and a half gallon of whole, do you get a gallon and a half of half half and half and half whole?
How would you get a gallon and a half from mixing two half-gallons of liquid?
What if you have two half brothers? Is that the same as having one brother?
Maybe if you were a magician, and your brother was involved in a "sawing a man into two" act that went tragically wrong.

You probably wouldn't be confused if someone said they drank a whole pint, which is a half-quart or quarter-gallon.
I was born confused son. Let me try to get this straight. If someone says they drank a whole pint of whole milk in 15 minutes, that's the same thing as saying that they drank a whole half-half-gallon of whole half and half in a whole half of a whole half hour. I never heard anyone talk like that. Look at it this way. If someone says they drank a whole fifth of bourbon, then is that the same as drinking a fifth of whole bourbon? As a whole, I like bourbon, but I never heard anyone say they drank a whole bourbon after they drank 5 fifths of it.

... but I never heard anyone say they drank a whole bourbon after they drank 5 fifths of it.
No one whose drunk 5 fifths of bourbon can still talk.

I was born confused son. Let me try to get this straight. If someone says they drank a whole pint of whole milk in 15 minutes, that's the same thing as saying that they drank a whole half-half-gallon of whole half and half in a whole half of a whole half hour. I never heard anyone talk like that. Look at it this way. If someone says they drank a whole fifth of bourbon, then is that the same as drinking a fifth of whole bourbon?
Let's get the units in, since their lack seems to be adding to your confusion. A fifth is not a fifth of a bourbon, or gin, or vodka; it's a fifth of a gallon of some alcoholic beverage. Someone who has drunk a whole fifth of a gallon of bourbon, has drunk a fifth of a whole gallon.
As a whole, I like bourbon, but I never heard anyone say they drank a whole bourbon after they drank 5 fifths of it.

A fifth is not a fifth of a bourbon, or gin, or vodka; it's a fifth of a gallon of some alcoholic beverage.
I had a feeling someone was putting alcohol in my liquor.

I had a feeling someone was putting alcohol in my liquor.
They do that on purpose so you'll get drunk and buy more liquor. It's pretty devious.