1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is out there?

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    I know I am not the only one nor will I be the last. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Next may 2011 I will graduate with a B.S. in secondary math edu. Then I hope to transfer to a new school and finish a B.S in Pure Math. Long story short I am just not sure what kind of job I want to do with math.

I like teaching and I currently work at another college tutoring it......but I just dont feel like its my final destination. I want to work with the math I am learning on projects...something...but I don't know what kind of job to do. I know there are millions of them but how can I know what kind of job to do if I have never seen it done? It's seriously frustrating....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2
    I know how you feel I recently have went back to school to redo my Bachelors in Math and try to get a teaching job as well. Like you I feel like it is a good job but just not quite the career of a life time. I am at a state college in NJ and they have a Masters program in Computational Science. If you not sure what that is you use Math and computers to solve complex problems in a number of different fields. Not sure if I am going to teach or go for this Masters, but it sounds like you are in a simuliar situation. Check it out.
    Good Luck!!

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    Computational Science sounds interesting too, I have also looked a bit into Cryptography but again its not like teaching where we can go into a classroom and learn how the job works to decide if we like it. I guess my problem is that I am not big on taking leaps, I like having an idea where my footholds are and unfortunately a lot of math related jobs you can not know until you get it. Well I love math too much to let it go so I will just have to go with the flow.....some how....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook