What is Philosophy? Exploring Its Meaning & Boundaries

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary, philosophy is a subject that tries to answer questions that cannot be answered by science. It's all subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.
Avichal
Don't close this thread. I am not discussing any philosophy here.
I am just confused with what philosophy is. Wikipedia says:
Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

In this defintion, it says study of mind and language is philosophy. Well then is neuro-biology and linguistics philosophy? What is it exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
Don't close this thread. I am not discussing any philosophy here.
I am just confused with what philosophy is. Wikipedia says:

In this defintion, it says study of mind and language is philosophy. Well then is neuro-biology and linguistics philosophy? What is it exactly?

Philosophy is all about the "Why" questions and is interested in the meanings of things which can't be explained via science.

MathJakob said:
Philosophy is all about the "Why" questions and is interested in the meanings of things which can't be explained via science.

Do you mean like - Why do electrons exist, what is the meaning of life etc. If these are the questions that philosophy deals with, then why is it a subject that is taught in universities? I can't imagine how you can progress further on such topics.

Just because two things study the same phenomena it doesn't mean one of them is part of the other. They can study these phenomena in different perspectives.

Theology and physics both study the universe as a whole and its fundamental properties but neither physics is a part of theology or theology a kind of physics.

Avichal said:
Do you mean like - Why do electrons exist, what is the meaning of life etc. If these are the questions that philosophy deals with, then why is it a subject that is taught in universities? I can't imagine how you can progress further on such topics.

Philosophy is like religion in the sense that you can't progress, prove, test or observe anything. All philosophy does is try to answer the questions science can't.

It's all completely subjective though, there is no right or wrong answer really. I actually find philosophy quite interesting, I don't think there is a single scientist out there that hasn't thought "Why are we here" or "Why is the speed of light c and not c+2" ect.

These questions are fun to think about but ultimately there is no reason. Id the speed of like were 100m/s we'd be asking why is it 100m/s and not 500m/s.

Humans are so insecure about not knowing and fear dying forever so they invent things or reasons to give their lives meaning.

Last edited:
Likes NietzschianGirl

1. What is philosophy?

Philosophy is the study of fundamental issues such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It seeks to understand the world and our place in it through critical thinking, rational argumentation, and systematic inquiry.

2. What are the main branches of philosophy?

The main branches of philosophy are metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, logic, and aesthetics. Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality, epistemology explores the nature of knowledge, ethics examines moral principles and values, logic studies reasoning and argumentation, and aesthetics focuses on the nature of beauty and art.

3. How is philosophy different from other disciplines?

Philosophy is different from other disciplines in that it does not focus on a specific subject matter, but rather on the fundamental questions that underlie all other fields of study. It is a critical and reflective discipline that encourages individuals to think deeply and critically about the world and their place in it.

4. What are the key methods used in philosophy?

The key methods used in philosophy include critical thinking, logical reasoning, and argumentation. Philosophers use these methods to analyze and evaluate arguments, assess the validity of claims, and form well-reasoned conclusions about complex issues.

5. Why is philosophy important?

Philosophy is important because it helps us to better understand our world and our place in it. It teaches us how to critically examine our beliefs and values, develop logical reasoning skills, and think more deeply about complex issues. Philosophy also encourages open-mindedness, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to think independently, all of which are valuable skills in both personal and professional contexts.