Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is photon emission

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    k my physics background is limited , I know that photon emission is when the electron moves down in energy level thus releasing a photon but how does the photon get inside the electron , the energy that moves the electron into a higher level when this energy
    moves the electron out their is this how the photon gets into the electron , please clarify

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Electrons do not contain photons. The photon is created at the moment of emission.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    ok , where is it created from or how is it created .

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Let me preface this by saying that I am not in any way an authority in the field. As far as I know, though, you get down to the range where everything consists of wave packets.
    Thinking of sub-atomic particles as... well... particles... is counter-productive.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The photon is produced by the excitation of the electromagnetic field, in the theoretical framework that describes electrons and photons (Quantum Electrodynamics) the photons are quanta of the electromagnetic field.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    so the field is already there it just hasn't been excited

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well at this level, yes :-)

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8
    so would I need to understand QED to completely understand this

10. Mar 27, 2009 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well here is a web course: http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys512/latex2html/node1.html [Broken]

It assumes that you have done advanced Quantum mechanics, at the level of Sakurai's book "modern quantum mechanics"

It is a difference of understanding and understanding. Since the language of physics is math, the understanding is almost always contained in the formalism. So for a complete understanding, yes, one needs to know the theory - otherwise it would not be a complete understanding.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Mar 27, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Nobody completely understands it. That's the beauty of science. Keep investigating.

12. Mar 27, 2009 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah that is true, it is also a difference of understanding nature and understanding a theory that describes nature ;-)

13. Mar 27, 2009 #12
    thanks for helping guys , i at least have a better understanding and ur right i cant think of a photon like a pool ball i need to think of it as a wave packet.

14. Mar 27, 2009 #13
    Photon is timeless, it's not created... It just is in the electron (as energy, if you wish), or around it (as the field, again, if you wish), and it is transmitted or absorbed.

There is quite a nice explanation about this on Hecht's Optics.

15. Mar 27, 2009 #14

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is the classical explanation, i.e classical electrodynamics

16. Mar 27, 2009 #15
    Is it true that photons have no mass/weight? Please clarify this, I may be misinformed.

17. Mar 27, 2009 #16

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Photons have zero mass

18. Mar 27, 2009 #17
    so if photons are not created and are timeless , then the universe has been around forever .

19. Mar 27, 2009 #18
    That's what I thought, thank you.

20. Mar 27, 2009 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A photon does, however, have momentum.

21. Mar 27, 2009 #20
    right and they have a force too. Photons always seem to capture people's imagination
    and invoke interesting debates , nature is cunning an Einstein would put it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook