What is physical meaning of anticommuting, not anticommuting operators

In summary: However, the commutator does not always vanish, and so two observables cannot always be measured simultaneously.
Roman
hello everyone,

while studying QM you learn the physical meaning of commutating operators, namely they have simultaneous eigenstates. For observables it means, that they can be simultaneusly exactly mesured.

What is the physical meaning of anticommuting and not anticommuting operators? [tex][A,B]_+=0, [A,B]_+\not=0[/tex]
Is there any physical meaning or is it just a mathematical tool?

(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roman said:
hello everyone,

while studying QM you learn the physical meaning of commutating operators, namely they have simultaneous eigenstates. For observables it means, that they can be simultaneusly exactly mesured.

Where did you get that ? That's incorrect.

Roman said:
What is the physical meaning of anticommuting and not anticommuting operators? [tex][A,B]_+=0, [A,B]_+\not=0[/tex]
Is there any physical meaning or is it just a mathematical tool?

The issues with anticommutators pertain to quantum field theory and they are the convenient mathematical tool which is necessary for the theory of fermionic fields to be valid.

Daniel.

why isn't that correct? for example [tex][L_i,L_j]_-\not=0[/tex] means that you can't exactly measure two components of angular momentum at the same time, the same for [tex][x_i,p_i]_-\not=0[/tex].
can you find a counter-example?

so it is just a mathematical tool?

The question and whole problematic of measurement is a thorny subject in quantum mechanics. This is subject to the different "interpretations". Basically i follow the "statistical interpretation" which guided Leslie Ballentine to write his excellent book on QM.
That's why i claim that what you wote above is incorrect.

Yes, anticommutators, just like commutators are nothing but a mathematical tool.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
...Basically i follow the "statistical interpretation" which guided Leslie Ballentine to write his excellent book on QM.
That's why i claim that what you wote above is incorrect.

IIRC, a somewhat general expression for the uncertainty principle shows that the uncertainty in the measurement of two quantities is proportional to their commutator, which means that, regardless of interpretation, two observables can indeed be measured simultaneously if they have a vanishing commutator (with the possible exception in the case of time-dependent operators).

What is the physical meaning of anticommuting operators?

Anticommuting operators are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. These operators have the property that when they are multiplied, their order does not matter but their sign changes. This is in contrast to commuting operators, which maintain their order when multiplied. The physical meaning of anticommuting operators is that they represent the fact that fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state at the same time, known as the Pauli exclusion principle.

What is the difference between anticommuting and commuting operators?

The main difference between anticommuting and commuting operators is the way they behave when they are multiplied. Commuting operators maintain their order when multiplied, while anticommuting operators change sign. Additionally, commuting operators represent particles that can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously, while anticommuting operators represent particles that cannot occupy the same state at the same time.

What is an example of anticommuting operators?

An example of anticommuting operators is the creation and annihilation operators used in second quantization. These operators create or destroy fermions in a quantum system and have the property that their order does not matter when multiplied, but their sign changes. In addition, the commutation relation between these operators is given by {a,a†}=aa†+a†a=1, where a and a† are the creation and annihilation operators, respectively.

What is the importance of anticommuting operators in quantum mechanics?

Anticommuting operators are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to describe the behavior of fermions, which are fundamental particles that make up matter. Without anticommuting operators, we would not be able to properly model the behavior of fermions, which is crucial for understanding the physical world at the smallest scales.

Can anticommuting operators be measured?

No, anticommuting operators cannot be directly measured. They are mathematical objects used to describe the behavior of fermions in quantum mechanics. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements on fermionic systems. For example, the Pauli exclusion principle, which is represented by anticommuting operators, can be observed in the electron configurations of atoms.