Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is placebo effect ?

1. Apr 30, 2003 #1
    In the picture, you can see a red spot and a blue "stick". If you place your finger or a pen at the position of the blue stick at the area of the red spot, you'll feel dizzy even if you close your eyes. The finger / pen should be put as close as possible near your forehead without touching your skin. (I hope you can understand what I mean) Why is it so ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2003 #2
    I don't know if anyone else has got the same problem but I could not get the link to work, sorry.
  4. Apr 30, 2003 #3
    I got a dead link too.
  5. Apr 30, 2003 #4
  6. Apr 30, 2003 #5

Hmm... I don't feel dizzy. Maybe it's a placebo effect?
  7. Apr 30, 2003 #6
    What is placebo effect ?

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. You can move your finger from the mid point of your eyes up by about 0.3 - 1.5 cm, there should be a particular point which can make you feel uncomfortable. Your finger should be just 0.2-0.6 mm above your skin (ie should be as close as possible). Some of my friends tried and it really works.
  8. Apr 30, 2003 #7
  9. Apr 30, 2003 #8
    The placebo effect...BOULDERHEAD LINK...basically, FZ+ was saying that you think you will be dizzy therefore you are dizzy.

I think you must focus in on the end of your finger to feel dizzy, other than that, my Ajana gets stimulated
  10. Apr 30, 2003 #9
    My friend pointed her finger in front of my forehead and I felt dizzy without knowing this method can in fact make a person dizzy. So I don't think it is a psychological effect.It works even if you close your eyes! You can feel when your friend points a finger to your forehead.
  11. Apr 30, 2003 #10

Staff: Mentor

I felt nothing.
  12. Apr 30, 2003 #11
    I got a little dizzy. But I'm drinking beer.
  13. May 1, 2003 #12
    It used to happen to me when I was a child, but it doesn't happen anymore.
  14. May 1, 2003 #13
    Put your finger at the mid point of your eyes (or move up 1-2 cm from that point) for at least 1 minute. YOur finger should be as close as your skin. I think I'm not a freak or I have any supernatural power! :smile:

Well in fact I'm thinking of whether this phenomenon is related to the theory behind acupuncture or acupuncture points.
  15. May 1, 2003 #14

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I didn't get dizzy, but my hand sure did get sore. Wow, theres some real powerful voodoo at work here....
  16. May 1, 2003 #15
    I think it has something to do with you anticpating being touched by the pen. I wonder if your eyes were closed and you didn't know if they pen were there if it would work. I tried to do something like that, it seemed different to me.
  17. May 1, 2003 #16

Staff: Mentor

I'll try that.

And maybe the pen thing again too...

My hand got tired and I almost fell asleep. But then that could be the beer.
  18. May 3, 2003 #17
    yeah, i've always wondered about that too ! I know what you mean, it feels like the pen is touching your skin, but it isn't. Its a kinda itchy feeling for me.

I think its the fact that you are anticipating to be touched that gives the feeling.
  19. May 3, 2003 #18

But I have some reservations. I remember some experiments that took place regarding tickling. Basically, it is impossible to tickle yourself, because the motor cortex "warns" your perceptual neurones beforehand as to self-inflicted sensations. If the dizziness is related, then this should also be true.

Hmm... I have an idea... Wet your face and then repeat the experiment, or get a friend to do it again. Do you still feel dizzy?
  20. May 4, 2003 #19
    I tried it along my entire face...felt exaclty the same-nothing.
  21. May 4, 2003 #20
    i just noticed this post but cant participate

the link is dead

is this jpg posted anywhere else?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?