1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is polorization

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    what is it exactly? is it the direction of the electric field when an electromagnetic wave propagates in a certain direction?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2
    If you were to measure the E-field at a fixed point as an EM wave moves past, you would find that the field oscillates in a particular direction. That direction is the polarization.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    Well PolArisation is a term used to describe a phenomena found in all Transverse Waves. Now remember that transverse waves move in a direction but their displacement is perpendicular. Now what if these perpendicular displacements were in all directions - i.e. one perpendicular displacement at a certain angle and another at a different one etc. Now Polarisation only lets 1 of those perpendicular displacements through.

I hope I explained clearly. Nevertheless remember that Light is not only made of 1 Plane wave displacement... It is made of multiple ones. Now a Polaroid Polariser lets only one of those Displacements through...

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    (the underlined part is what i am emphasizing)

which one would it let though or rather how do you determine which will be let through, and also i am unclear about the fact that whether what the polaroid polarizer does is in fact polarization or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook