What is “quantized momentum transfer” and can it account for interference patterns?

In summary, the author proposes that the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment can be explained by the quantized momentum transfer from the slits to the electron. The slit structure is considered a quantum object with several eigenstates, resulting in momentum quantization according to Duane's rule. However, the mechanism of this transfer is unknown and the article does not provide any new insights. Additionally, covering one slit does not produce an interference pattern, suggesting that the slit itself is not the source of interference. Finally, previous studies on diffraction from complex systems already use momentum transfer to explain the observed patterns.
Ali Lavasani
In https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378437109010401, the author claims that the interference pattern obtained in the double-slit experiment does not need a wave description of matter, and can be accounted for by the "quantized momentum transfer" from the slits to the electron. Here, the whole slit structure is regarded as a quantum object with several eigenstates, which transfers a quantized momentum to the incident particle. Momentum quantization is a result of the "Duane's quantization rule".

My question is, how come can a large macroscopic object like the slit structure be a quantum object? What determines what eigenstate it's in (the configuration of its atoms or something else for example)? The author admits that the mechanism of the momentum transfer is unknown, so isn't such an explanation weird, and why should it be considered?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ali, all objects are quantum. objects. Most are just so big that we can use a gross classical description.

As to Duane's quantization rule, in the original paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1085314/pdf/pnas01878-0020.pdf see section 5, where he points out: "The reasoning by which we have deduced Braggs' law [...] cannot be considered a logical demonstration. We may regard the reasoning, however as a means of suggesting equations to be tested[empirically]."

In reading the paper you can see that he is working heuristically, starting with the hypothesis of quantized momentum exchange and pulling relevant parameters such as atomic spacing an Plank's constant to assign a value to this quantum of momentum exchanged. There is not attempt to claim any further mechanism in this. It is not an explanatory hypothesis but rather merely a derivational one. I am not inclined to pay to see this recent article since the abstract does not suggest she has added anything significant to Duane's 1923 paper.

Ali Lavasani said:
... the author claims that the interference pattern obtained in the double-slit experiment does not need a wave description of matter, and can be accounted for by the "quantized momentum transfer" from the slits to the electron. Here, the whole slit structure is regarded as a quantum object ... The author admits that the mechanism of the momentum transfer is unknown, so isn't such an explanation weird, and why should it be considered?
If the interference pattern was due to the slits, how is it that covering one up does not produce an interference pattern? There's still a slit!

I looked, but could not locate a free version of her work to read. So I could not determine the reasoning. However, the slit itself would not be the source of interference. It is instead responsible for the shape of the interference bands.

I would not consider this a suitable article to base any conclusion on.

Likes bhobba
Ali Lavasani said:
In https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378437109010401, the author claims that the interference pattern obtained in the double-slit experiment does not need a wave description of matter, and can be accounted for by the "quantized momentum transfer" from the slits to the electron. Here, the whole slit structure is regarded as a quantum object with several eigenstates, which transfers a quantized momentum to the incident particle. Momentum quantization is a result of the "Duane's quantization rule".

The fact that there is momentum transfer in diffraction should not be surprising. You can't have change of direction without momentum transfer. Therefore it is obvious that all particles going through slits change direction due to momentum transfer. But why does this transfer exhibit the pattern observed in diffraction and interference patterns? (ASIDE: Note that diffraction and interference patterns are physically the same phenomena). I think Duane's original paper and the paper you cited are trying to answer this question.

It is interesting that momentum transfer is already used in standard treatments of diffraction from more complex systems such as crystals, where reciprocal space (really momentum space) is used to describe and represent the diffraction pattern. Where the reciprocal lattice vector corresponds to the momentum transfer vector. In this sense it is commonly understood that the momentum is transferred to crystal momentum. (See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewald's_sphere)

See also this paper https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2013.10.025

lodbrok said:
The fact that there is momentum transfer in diffraction should not be surprising. You can't have change of direction without momentum transfer. Therefore it is obvious that all particles going through slits change direction due to momentum transfer. But why does this transfer exhibit the pattern observed in diffraction and interference patterns? (ASIDE: Note that diffraction and interference patterns are physically the same phenomena). I think Duane's original paper and the paper you cited are trying to answer this question.

It is interesting that momentum transfer is already used in standard treatments of diffraction from more complex systems such as crystals, where reciprocal space (really momentum space) is used to describe and represent the diffraction pattern. Where the reciprocal lattice vector corresponds to the momentum transfer vector. In this sense it is commonly understood that the momentum is transferred to crystal momentum. (See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewald's_sphere)

See also this paper https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2013.10.025
In the paper I cited, the interference pattern is justified using the "momentum transfer". The author herself admits that "the mechanism of the momentum transfer is unknown". She just removes the probability wave and replaces it with "momentum transfer from the slits to the particle", where the particle is equally probable to go throw each of the slits, and also equally probable to go toward any direction after passing one of the slits. Basically, the math is equivalent to the orthodox Copenhagen interpretation using probability wavefunction, and that's why I'm asking why one should consider this model.

DrChinese said:
If the interference pattern was due to the slits, how is it that covering one up does not produce an interference pattern? There's still a slit!

I looked, but could not locate a free version of her work to read. So I could not determine the reasoning. However, the slit itself would not be the source of interference. It is instead responsible for the shape of the interference bands.

I would not consider this a suitable article to base any conclusion on.
The math is kinda equivalent to that of the orthodox explanation. The author considers equal probabilities for the particle passing throw each slit (kinda superposition), and when a slit is chosen, the particle can go toward any direction with equal probabilities depending on the transferred momentum which is stochastic (kinda equivalent to the spherical wave math), and then somehow proves that the pattern would be proportional to the Fourier transform of the slit structure's geometry. I think the theory is mathematically equivalent to the orthodox theory, with just a different interpretation, of course a weird one, invoking an "unknown" momentum transfer mechanism. The author has in fact gotten rid of "wave-particle duality" with invoking other weird things (unknown momentum transfer mechanism, nonlocality because of the need for the periodicity of the slit structure, etc.). This is why I don't get the point of this paper.

1. What is “quantized momentum transfer”?

Quantized momentum transfer refers to the transfer of momentum between particles in discrete, quantized units rather than in a continuous manner. This concept is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, where particles are described as having both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How does quantized momentum transfer differ from classical momentum transfer?

In classical mechanics, momentum transfer is described as a continuous process, where particles can transfer any amount of momentum to each other. In contrast, in quantum mechanics, momentum transfer occurs in discrete units, or quanta, which cannot be divided into smaller increments.

3. Can quantized momentum transfer account for interference patterns?

Yes, quantized momentum transfer plays a crucial role in explaining interference patterns in quantum systems. When particles with quantized momentum interact with each other, their wave-like properties can interfere with each other, resulting in the characteristic interference patterns observed in experiments.

4. How is quantized momentum transfer related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Quantized momentum transfer is a manifestation of this principle, as the discrete nature of momentum transfer in quantum systems is a result of the uncertainty in the position of particles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of quantized momentum transfer?

Yes, quantized momentum transfer is a fundamental concept in understanding and developing technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in explaining the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.