1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is R

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    Sound waves move from the left(R) to right(L) from a tube.
    In the tube, the sound waves are split into 2 w/ radius R (half circled shaped)
    a) if sound emitted has a freq of 444Hz, what is the min value of R that will lead to max L?
    b) what is the smallest R leads to min sound at L?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    freq. of 444Hz

2. Relevant equations
    f=(mv)/2L
    lambda=V/freq

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the first eqn to solve for L, then using the 2nd solving for lambda and thinking it would be one of the two. but im completely lost now.
    I dun get this question at all...

Max sound is constructive.. soo.... :yuck:
    attached is the picture w/ the Question

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    i really need hints please =s

i have a midterm on this this week =s

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yes - this would be a problem of max (constructive) and min (destructive) interference.

The length of the curve is [itex]\pi[/itex]R, and one has find the R such that the sounds add or cancel each other. The straight path has a length 2R.

What is the condition for interference with respect to difference between the two lengths, i.e. when is interference constructive/destructive?

lambda=V/freq is correct - so what is the wavelength of a 440 Hz wave?

Here is a reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/interf.html

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    ah I see
    Thanks. i figured it out soon afterwards.

i thought we didnt learn that section. so i tried to solve it bying the phase eqn for construction and destruction waves x_x

THANKS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?