What is reality?

• Thread starter Graviton
  • Start date
Huh. Cosmic weirdness. It's windy outside, and after I typed my previous post concerning the orchestra, my mind wandered, and I thought about the idea a wind-powered music box... and naturally did a google search for 'wind-powered music box.' The third result led to a physicsforums thread :)

However, I wouldn't say that the implication is that there is no 'self' or no 'mind', only that they are not anything that exists independently of the brain. As I said in the 'non-physical universe' thread, I think consciousness is a process that the physical brain performs, not a 'noun' in its own right. If that makes sense.

Sort of how a symphony piece is a process of the performing orchestra. When the instruments stop moving, the process halts.
So where is the "symphony piece"? It is a concept in human minds. Where is a constellation? It is a concept in human minds. Where does the dark side of the moon end and the light side begin? Only in a mind. When you see two things, where is "two"? There is no such thing as "two", that is only a concept in a mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_object . Where do "you" end and where does "other" begin? That is only in the mind. Why not give up this silly notion that there is a "you" entirely? That is infinitely closer to Reality. And then the implications!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nova, the mind may be nothing more than what the brain "does". This is not a novel concept. Please acquaint yourself with readings on the philosophy of mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind

We have wandered far from the topic here. You've given us too much story with too little punchline.

Last edited: