1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is really meant by negative voltage?

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    Hi, I get confused when I look at the dual power supply. I wish I can add two capacitor bank at both +ve and -ve terminals to improve its regulations.

If I connect the capacitor bank, maybe 0.1F directly to the supply line, there must be a sudden high current flow through the rectifier (surge current) and will cause damage on it. So I decided to make something like protector to protect the circuit from surge current by charging up the capacitor bank first, then reconnect it to the supply line.

But when I saw the negative supply, I get confused. How to connect the protector circuit to the negative voltage?

Well, I think is like 2 batteries connected in series. Then I assumed that the center ground as the positive terminal of the lower part of the battery. If so, I can just copy the upper circuit of positive supply to the negative supply, isn't it? Can someone please check whether I connected the circuit correctly? Is the concept correct? Thanks.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34919012/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted