What is really Nascent Oxygen?

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, nascent oxygen is a highly reactive and unstable form of oxygen that is generated on site in chemical reactions. It does not convert to O2 instantly and can react with other substances present. It is mostly used in chemistry with hydrogen and oxygen, but technically it can be used with other elements as well. The name "NascentOxygen" was chosen due to its fascination with the concept of nascent oxygen. It is not an expert on anything and is just a nickname chosen by the person. The reason behind the pungent odour of ozone is unknown, but it has been suggested that it may be due to its strong bleaching action. It may also have played a role in the person's childhood imagination.
Raghav Gupta
Like in equation
##2KMnO_4 + 3H_2SO_4--> K_2SO_4 + 2MnSO_4+3H_2O+5[O]##
How a mono atomic O is there. It would be unstable, why it is forming? It should have been ##O_2##.
In equation
C2O6H6 + [O]-------> 2CO2 +3H2O]x5
How we are supplying monatomic O?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nascent oxygen has much higher reactivity than the oxygen bubbled through the reaction mixture. It doesn't stay nascent for long (you are right about it being converted quick to just O2), which is why it has to be generated in situ.

Borek said:
which is why it has to be generated in situ.
What is situ?
I thought early that situ is a kind of reacting mixture but when looked on Wikipedia, found that there is a Latin phrase in situ which means on the premises. But how we create nascent oxygen and why write in reaction if it quickly converts to O2?

Nascent oxygen doesn't convert to O2 instantly, and if it is generated in the reaction mixture it exists for long enough to react with other things present. Conversion to O2 competes with other possible reactions. Sometimes they are too slow and presence of the nascent oxygen doesn't matter, sometimes they are fast and they consume the nascent oxygen before it reacts with itself producing just O2.

So are there other things like nascent hydrogen, nascent cobalt, nascent chlorine , nascent sodium etc?
I have heard only nascent word in chemistry used with oxygen most of the times and some time with hydrogen.

Technically yes, other elements (reagents) can be "nascent". But it is mostly used for hydrogen and oxygen.

Note that it makes sense only when the "nascent" differs in some way and for some reason from the ordinary thing.

Thank you.:)

I was expecting some replies from @NascentOxygen . Though I have understood, it would be better that how [O] explains itself.
:smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
@NascentOxygen is busy learning how to ban those asking difficult questions :biggrin:

Maybe he would have gone to watch Cricket World Cup 2015 in a stadium as he resides in Australia and World Cup has started in Australia?:DD

So this is why my ears were burning ... people talking about me behind my back! :smile:

O1 is a hyperactive species, unstable and short-lived. For this reason, it has to be generated on site where it is needed. :cool:

It is interesting that O3 has such a strong and characteristic odour when O2 (along with most colourless elemental gases) has no odour.

NascentOxygen said:
So this is why my ears were burning ... people talking about me behind my back! :smile:

O1 is a hyperactive species, unstable and short-lived. For this reason, it has to be generated on site where it is needed. :cool:

Did you not got the alert of tagging when I first tagged you?
It has been a long time since then.

Just curious to know why you have kept the name NascentOxygen? Are you a expert on it?

It is interesting that O3 has such a strong and characteristic odour when O2 (along with most colourless elemental gases) has no odour.
Do you know the reason of that?

I first tried to register as NascentHydrogen but the software said that was too many characters, so I settled for my second choice. :smile: I'm not an expert on anything, I'm afraid. :frown:

Nascent oxygen caught my imagination when I first read about it in an old Inorganic Chemistry textbook in a box of books that a uni graduate gave me when I was in primary school. I think I memorized every page in that book, and I still have it.

I read somewhere* that the strong bleaching action of chlorine bleaching powder is actually attributed to the liberation of monatomic oxygen and it's this which performs the bleaching.

I have no idea why ozone has a pungent odour. But, to me as a child, it made my toy trains seem just unreal. :cool::cool:

Likes Raghav Gupta
Replying after quite a time when I see you in other forums. I think you get many alerts as a mentor?
By the way thanks.

Can nascent oxygen absorb (react with) CO2, CO & SO2 from atmosphere?

Nascent Oxygen is a highly reactive form of oxygen that is produced through various chemical reactions. It is also known as singlet oxygen or atomic oxygen.

How is Nascent Oxygen different from regular oxygen?

Nascent Oxygen has a higher energy state and is more reactive compared to regular oxygen. It is usually formed in small amounts and quickly reacts with other substances, making it difficult to isolate and study.

What are the properties of Nascent Oxygen?

Nascent Oxygen is a highly unstable and reactive molecule. It has a short lifespan and quickly reacts with other substances, making it difficult to observe and study. It is also a powerful oxidizing agent, meaning it can easily donate its extra oxygen atom to other molecules.

Where is Nascent Oxygen found?

Nascent Oxygen is not found in its pure form in nature. It is usually produced in small amounts during chemical reactions or through the use of specialized equipment in laboratories.

What are the applications of Nascent Oxygen?

Nascent Oxygen has various applications in industries such as medicine, water treatment, and manufacturing. It is used as an oxidizing agent and can help in the production of certain chemicals and compounds. It is also used in some medical treatments to kill bacteria and promote healing.