How Do Relative Velocity and Relative Path Differ?

In summary, relative velocity is a physics concept that is often mentioned in math books. It refers to the velocity with which a body approaches or recedes from another body, regardless of whether both are moving or only one. It is defined as the variation of coordinate with respect to time in different reference systems and is typically used when dealing with more than one reference system. It is important to understand the concept of "velocity" and have a basic understanding of reference systems in order to fully grasp the concept of relative velocity.
DeathKnight
What is relative velocity? I have solved a lot of questions relating to it but I'm still confused what EXACTLY is it? Its in my maths book so my mathematics teacher was not able describe this in detail. One more thing: I'll be much pleased if someone also explains what is relative path.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Abdullah.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what "relative velocity",which is a physics concept,has to do with math books,but i'll try to give an explanation.
Velocity is defined as the varition of coordinate wrt to time.Coordinate is defined wrt to a reference system which is composed by a point in space (considered fix) and a system of coordinate axis.In a 3D space,there are 3 independent axis,which are usually chosen as the Ox,Oy and Oz axis.Suppose that this reference system is labeled with "1".That is,a point (a body) wrt to this reference system has the coordinate:[itex]x_{1}(t) [/itex].I chosed it unidimensional for the simplicity of the exposure.Chose another reference system.Another point and another coordinate.Label it with "2".Then the same body has in this reference system the coordinate [itex] x_{2}(t) [/itex].The velocities for the 2 systems are [itex] v_{1}(t) [/itex] and [itex] v_{2}(t)[/itex].Assume that one reference system is fix (the one with the label "1") and the one with the label "2" is moving with the speed [itex] v [/itex] wrt to the system "1" which,as i said,i assumed fix.Then the RELATIVE VELOCITY OF THE BODY wrt to the moving frame is
[tex] v_{2}=v_{1}-v [/tex]

The concept of relative velocity appears whenever you're dealing with more than one reference system.U must know that the concept of "velocity" requires a reference system.When there's one moving body,but more reference systems,then u can define the "relative velocity".

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I don't know what "relative velocity",which is a physics concept,has to do with math books,

Daniel.
I feel the same way man. Its not actually in my maths book its in my addition Mathematics book(o'levels). They even had particle machanics in it with work energy power. I had the option to choose biology or Additional mathematics and I chose Additional Maths.
By the way that's for replying.

:approve:

Last edited:
At dictionary.com
Relative Velocity - the velocity with which a body approaches or recedes from another body, whether both are moving or only one.

If this is not clear try looking it up in an advance physics glossary.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is typically measured in meters per second.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of two objects. This can be done by subtracting the initial velocity of one object from the final velocity of the other object.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction without any reference to another object.

4. What factors can affect relative velocity?

The relative velocity between two objects can be affected by the velocities of the individual objects, the direction of their motion, and any external forces acting on them.

5. Why is relative velocity important in physics?

Relative velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is also essential in many real-life situations, such as calculating the velocity of objects in moving vehicles or understanding the effects of air resistance on an object's motion.