What is Relativity? Get Help Understanding It

• Thread starter heaven eye
  • Start date
In summary, relativity is a term used to describe the concept that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Albert Einstein's theories of special and general relativity explain this concept by taking into account the effects of high speeds and strong gravitational fields on measurements of time, length, and mass. These theories also unified the concepts of space and time into the spacetime continuum and showed that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature in spacetime. Special relativity applies to inertial frames of reference, while general relativity applies to all frames of reference. These theories have been experimentally confirmed and have led to many important insights and advancements in physics.
heaven eye
what is relativy ?

actually I heard about theory Einstein made it was "relativy" , well am so confused , I mean each time I ask about it I receive different answers but what I could to understand that there is relativy in time , mass , velocity , volume ... and so much which made me want to understand it will.

can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the word is "relativity" not "relativy" and that concept was not new with Einstein! Classical Physicists talked about "Gallilean relativity" that was developed by Gallileo who maintained that if you were inside a completely sealed carriage moving at a constant speed in a constant direction, there is no experiment you could do to determine your speed or even if you were moving! Basically that is because F= ma- force is proportional to acceleration, not speed, and what we really measure are forces. Speed can only be measured "relative" to something else, not in any absolute terms.

The development of electro-magnetic theory put that in question. The force due to a moving charge depends on its speed, not acceleration. That implies that there exist an absolute speed, not "relative" to anything else. The Michaelson-Morley experiment was designed to measure our "absolute" speed and gave a null result- there was no such thing. Einstein's theory of relativity explained why, even with electro-magnetic forces, speed is still "relative".

If, as I suspect, you want a general explanation of Einsteinian relativity, I can only suggest that you read other threads in this forum. That's what they are all about!

The reason you may feel like you get different answers each time you ask is because there is a lot to explain in relativity and a few different ways to explain each thing. The best thing you can do is get a book on it: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/rel_booklist.html

There are two theories of relativity, the special theory and the general theory. The special theory was completed in 1905 as a remedy for the conflict between Maxwell's electromagnetism and Galilean mechanics. This conflict was really only something Einstein cared about, but his special theory of relativity also happened to explain something else physicists were confused about at the same time, the results of the Michelson-Morely experiment which seemed to show that the speed of light is the same to everyone, no matter how fast they're moving. Einstein assumed the results of this experiment (that the speed of light is a constant) on the basis of the principle of relativity (an expanded version of a Galilean postulate) and Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism, and ended up with a new system of mechanics which reduces to Galilean mechanics when velocities are low relative to the speed of light.

The general theory was completed in 1916 as a remedy for the conflict between the special theory of relativity and Newton's theory of gravity. The general theory also solved an experimental problem physicists were confused about at the time, although not quite as accidentally, the perihelion shift in the orbit of Mercury. Newton's theory of gravity doesn't predict the orbit of Mercury around the Sun accurately, but Einstein's general theory of relativity (the replacement of Newtonian gravity) does give accurate predictions for the orbit of Mercury.

Some unfamiliar/weird insights from relativity:
(1) Something moving fast will be shorter than it would be if it is standing still.
(2) A clock moving fast will tick slower than it would if it was standing still.
(3) Two events which happen at the same time from one person's point of view can happen at different times from someone else's point of view (provided the two people are moving fast relative to each other).
(3) Matter and energy are united as two different aspects of the same thing.
(4) We live in a four dimensional universe; space and time are united as the spacetime continuum.
(5) In a strong gravitational field, lengths contract and time slows down.
(6) Gravity isn't a "force" in general relativity; it is a curvature in spacetime, which violates Euclid's parallel postulate (allows two inertial bodies moving parallel to each other to fall toward each other).
(7) Nothing can ever accelerate to a faster speed than the speed of light.

Last edited:
heaven eye said:
actually I heard about theory Einstein made it was "relativy" , well am so confused , I mean each time I ask about it I receive different answers but what I could to understand that there is relativy in time , mass , velocity , volume ... and so much which made me want to understand it will.

can someone help me please?
Albert Einstein published the article On the electrodynamics of moving bodies, Albert Einstein, Annalen der Physik, 17, 1905. The theory which Einstein created and published in this paper has come to be known as special relativity. The "special" because it applies only to inertial frames (local or not, for you SR/GR perfectionists). The "relativity" term means that observations and measurements make no sense and have no meaning until you specify an observer which may or may not be in motion relative to you.

Now my turn. I helped you now you help me. For more info on this and how to learn it see - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/sr.htm

Start at the top and work your way down. Let me know if you find something in error or something confusing. Thanks.

Peter

well i back to see the answers and i like to thank each obe helped me let's go to the first answer :-

mr.HallsOfITY :-well you are right its relativity not relativy
then is that's means that Einstein didn't make the relativy or anything new in
relativy? is that true?

mr.ellipse:- thank you for the website
and for these ideas is that true that if i moved faster time run slower?? but when i move the watch still the same ? maybe i missunderstood the idea :blushing:
but what is the theory of electromagnatism? i just wish if i get a simple answer because Iam 16 years old !

mr.bmb phy:- I added the website in favourite because it has really useful information , I promise you that when I find any difficult I will ask you

well I asked a profissor in a university by email about this law E=mc^2 he said in atomic reaction the Uranium he said if the Uranium mass before the reaction was 4g then the mass of the Uranium after the reaction would be 3.6g what about the .4g to did it go? does it disappeard because it moved in speed of light? this contrast the relativity in mass? I think I well not ever be like Einstein or even understand Einstein or maxwell ?

1. What is the theory of relativity and who developed it?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a fundamental theory of physics that explains the relationship between space and time and the effects of gravity on these concepts.

2. What are the two main principles of relativity?

The two main principles of relativity are the principle of relativity and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light. The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, while the principle of the constancy of the speed of light states that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

3. How does general relativity differ from special relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at a constant velocity in a straight line, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on objects in motion. General relativity also includes the concept of curved spacetime, which explains how gravity affects the path of objects in space.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and has led to many new discoveries and developments in physics. It has helped us understand the concept of space and time and has provided a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and the effects of gravity on the universe.

5. How can we apply the theory of relativity in our daily lives?

The theory of relativity has practical applications in many areas of our daily lives, such as in GPS technology, which uses the principles of relativity to accurately track locations on Earth. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in space, which is important for space travel and satellite communication. Additionally, the theory of relativity has led to advancements in fields such as nuclear energy, astrophysics, and cosmology.