What is Resonance? Simple Definition

• Thread starter threy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary: Resonance is the tendency of a system to oscillate with greater amplitude at some frequencies than at others.
threy
I know what damping is but I have no idea what resonance is? Please explain it in simple words.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a beautiful thing called "Google" search on the internet.
Resonance
Resonance is the tendency of a system to oscillate with greater amplitude at some frequencies than at others.

adjacent said:
There's a beautiful thing called "Google" search on the internet.

(Signal boost)

TheDemx27 said:
(Signal boost)
Don't do that too much! You'll cause resonance!

Well, personally I find there is reason in such question and the answer from Wikipedia, found by Google IMHO is meaningless, even I may dare to say - incorrect, because as cited in that part it contains implication that resonance is some internal characteristic of a system /like "specific frequency" is/, or possibly state, yet /evidently/ the authors themselves immediately after that continue by explaining resonance as "occurence" /as something that "occurs"/, "phenomena" involving more terms and such meaning "something what happens" and thus not being an internal characteristic or state of a system /however you define a "system" as something with a physical meaning/.

Excuse me for my possibly imperfect English as it's not my mother's tongue.

pepe2907 said:
Well, personally I find there is reason in such question and the answer from Wikipedia, found by Google IMHO is meaningless, even I may dare to say - incorrect, because as cited in that part it contains implication that resonance is some internal characteristic of a system /like "specific frequency" is/, or possibly state, yet /evidently/ the authors themselves immediately after that continue by explaining resonance as "occurence" /as something that "occurs"/, "phenomena" involving more terms and such meaning "something what happens" and thus not being an internal characteristic or state of a system /however you define a "system" as something with a physical meaning/.

Excuse me for my possibly imperfect English as it's not my mother's tongue.

They are both correct. Words can mean more than one thing. So if an object has a resonance and is stimulated by an external agent with a frequency that matches the resonance frequency, a resonance will happen.

What is Resonance? Simple Definition

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to external vibrations or forces. This results in a significant increase in the amplitude of the vibrations.

How does resonance occur?

Resonance occurs when an object is exposed to an external force that matches its natural frequency. This causes the object to vibrate with a larger amplitude, resulting in resonance.

What are some examples of resonance?

Some common examples of resonance include the sound produced by a tuning fork, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the swinging of a pendulum.

Why is resonance important?

Resonance has many practical applications, such as in music and musical instruments, communication systems, and medical imaging technologies. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems.

How can resonance be controlled or prevented?

Resonance can be controlled or prevented by avoiding exposure to external forces that match the natural frequency of an object. This can be achieved by using damping materials or changing the shape or size of the object to alter its natural frequency.