Convolution Integral: f*g=f or f*2πδ=f?

In summary: Fourier transform and inverse:In summary, the right definition for a function is whichever one is chosen to be used when communicating the result of a Fourier transform or an inverse Fourier transform.
matematikuvol
What is right definition?

[tex](f*g)(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x-\xi)g(\xi)d\xi[/tex]

or

[tex](f*g)(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x-\xi)g(\xi)d\xi[/tex]or

[tex](f*g)(x)=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x-\xi)g(\xi)d\xi[/tex]

this is for me huge problem. For example

[tex]f*\delta=f[/tex]

or

[tex]f*2\pi\delta=f[/tex]

or

[tex]f*\sqrt{2\pi}\delta=f[/tex]

?
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I believe it is simply a matter of convention. I am used to the without any coefficient, but as long as you are consistent, it won't matter.

Tnx for the answer. Just one more question is definition of convolution in some bond with definition of Fourier transform? So if I say

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(x)\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(x)\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}g(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

then

[tex](f*g)(x)=?[/tex]

and if I define

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(x)\}=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(x)\}=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}g(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

then

[tex](f*g)(x)=?[/tex]

The connection to Fourier transform is essentially the Fourier transform of a convolution is the product of the Fourier transforms of the individual functions. There are three different ways to define things as you noted. If you want to avoid 2π or its square root as a coefficient for the integral, then the exponent of e must be -2πikx for the transform and 2πikx for the inverse transform.

When you leave out 2π in the exponent, then you need 1/(2π) as a coefficient for either the transform or its inverse. If you prefer symmetry, in this case, use 1/√(2π) for both.

Last edited:

I know that. My question is does definition of convulution depends of which definition of Fourier transform is choosen?

matematikuvol said:
I know that. My question is does definition of convulution depends of which definition of Fourier transform is choosen?

I suggest you try a simple example. I believe that if you use any of the definitions of transform that I described, i.e. coefficient in the transform, then you don't need any in the convolution.

Ok. But whole story for me has problems. For example

Take function [tex]f(x)=e^{-ax^2}[/tex]

What is Fourier transform?

If I define

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(x)\}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

then

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{e^{-ax^2}\}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi a}}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4a}}[/tex]

and if I define

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(x)\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{e^{-ax^2}\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 a}}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4a}}[/tex]

How is that posible? That aren't same functions. I have trouble with that. Can you please help me with some explanation?

Your example involves two possible definitions of Fourier transform, each of which requires a consistent definition of inverse transform. In your two examples the first one needs a coefficient of 1 and the other 1/√(2π).

All that matters is that you and your professor or anyone else you communicate with agree on which definition to use.My specialty is in probability theory. Here we put 2π in the exponent so the coefficient then is 1 for both forward and back transforms.

Last edited:

Ok. But that means that Fourier transform of some function depends of definition. If you use one definition, and me the other our results aren't the same. I'm not happy because of that.

matematikuvol said:
Ok. But that means that Fourier transform of some function depends of definition. If you use one definition, and me the other our results aren't the same. I'm not happy because of that.

I can't help that. All this means is that, when you communicate any result, make sure you describe the definition you are using.

matematikuvol said:

not all conventions are equal. electrical engineers, particularly those that worry about communications, control systems, and signal processing most commonly use these definitions (that were missed in this thread) for the Fourier transform and inverse:

[tex] \mathcal{F}\{x(t)\} \triangleq X(f) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x(t) \ e^{-j 2 \pi f t} \ dt [/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{F}^{-1}\{X(f)\} \triangleq x(t) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} X(f) \ e^{+j 2 \pi f t} \ df [/tex]

(note the change of notation.) frequency is in Hz instead of rad/sec. this way you loose all these nasty scaling factors regarding [itex] 2 \pi [/itex] or square root thereof. but you have to remember to put it into the exponential. the theorems for convolution,
[tex](x*y)(t) \triangleq \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} x(t-u) \ y(u) \ du = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} x(u) \ y(t-u) \ du [/tex]
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{(x*y)(t)\} = X(f) \cdot Y(f) [/tex]

Parsevals,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x(t)|^2 \ dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |X(f)|^2 \ df [/tex]

area under the curve,
[tex] X(0) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} x(t) \ dt [/tex]
[tex] x(0) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} X(f) \ df [/tex]

duality,
[tex] \mathcal{F}\{g(t)\} = G(f) \quad \iff \quad \mathcal{F}\{G(t)\} = g(-f) [/tex]

all come out to be quite clean and devoid of nasty scaling factors.
all this is soooo simple by using the right convention. not all conventions are of equal utility.

Last edited:

1. What is a convolution integral?

A convolution integral is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is represented by the symbol * and is used to describe the relationship between two functions, typically in the context of signal processing or time series analysis.

2. How is a convolution integral calculated?

The convolution integral is calculated by multiplying one function by a reversed and shifted version of the other function, and then integrating the resulting product over the domain of the two functions. This process is repeated for every possible shift of the second function.

3. What does f*g=f mean in the context of a convolution integral?

This equation means that the convolution of two functions, f and g, is equal to the first function, f. In other words, the convolution operation has no effect on the first function and simply returns it as the output.

4. What is the significance of using a delta function in the convolution integral, such as f*2πδ=f?

The delta function, represented by δ, is used to model impulses or sudden changes in a signal. In this context, f*2πδ=f means that the convolution of the function f with a delta function at a specific point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What are some practical applications of convolution integrals?

Convolution integrals have many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. They are commonly used in signal processing to filter and analyze signals, in image processing to blur or sharpen images, and in differential equations to solve problems involving input signals. They are also used in probability theory to calculate the probability of a sum of random variables.