What Does <S> Mean in Spin Measurement?

• Thread starter lonewolf219
  • Start date
In summary, <S> represents the expectation value of the magnitude of the spin vector, and for a fundamental particle like an electron, it is fixed at a specific value. This value cannot be known exactly, but it is still defined and can be measured in relation to the three components of spin.
lonewolf219
I am reading about spin, and I think <S[itex]_{x}[/itex]> represents the measured value of spin along the x component. The same would follow for <S[itex]_{y}[/itex]> and <S[itex]_{z}[/itex]>. I also think I read that we can't measure all three values during an experiment. Once we measure one component, we can't measure the other two. So then I don't really understand what <S> means because it cannot be the total measured spin, since we can only know one component.

Does <S> mean the expectation value of each component?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]<S> [/itex] is the expectation value for the total spin.The point that it can't be known exactly doesn't mean it is not defined at all.

Likes 1 person
lonewolf219 said:
I
Does <S> mean the expectation value of each component?

No, it's the expectation value of the magnitude of the total spin vector, that is, the expectation value of ##\sqrt{S_x^2+S_y^2+S_z^2}##. It is somewhat counterintuitive, but we can know the magnitude of the vector as well as the value of anyone of its three components.

Likes 1 person
:smile: I'm glad I asked... thanks Shyan and Nugatory!

lonewolf219 said:
So then I don't really understand what <S> means because it cannot be the total measured spin, since we can only know one component.

As noted above, it's the expectation value of the magnitude of the spin (intrinsic angular momentum) vector. For a fundamental particle this is in fact fixed for each particle: ##\langle S \rangle = S = \sqrt{s(s+1)} \hbar## where ##s## is the spin quantum number for that particle.

For an electron, ##s = 1/2## so ##\langle S \rangle = S = (\sqrt{3}/2) \hbar##.

Likes 1 person
jtbell, thanks for posting... that is exactly what I have just been putting together, and your post confirms it. I appreciate it!

1. What is the definition of in spin measurement?

The in spin measurement refers to the spin quantum number, which is a fundamental property of subatomic particles. It describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle and is often represented by the symbol .

2. How is measured in spin measurement experiments?

can be measured using a variety of techniques, including Stern-Gerlach experiments, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and electron spin resonance spectroscopy. These experiments use magnetic fields to manipulate the spin of particles and measure their resulting behavior.

3. What does the value of represent in spin measurement?

The value of represents the magnitude of the spin angular momentum of a particle. It is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values depending on the type of particle.

4. How does affect the behavior of particles in spin measurement experiments?

The value of determines how particles interact with magnetic fields and how they align themselves in space. This can affect their behavior in spin measurement experiments, as well as in other physical processes such as chemical reactions and nuclear reactions.

5. Can have a negative value in spin measurement?

Yes, can have a negative value in spin measurement. This indicates that the spin angular momentum of the particle is oriented in the opposite direction to the applied magnetic field. However, in most cases, the absolute value of is more important than its sign.