Exploring the Meaning of Sexy and its Gender Stereotypes

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, a sexy woman is intelligent, sensitive, loyal, attentive, athletic, old, sickly, and very wealthy. They also have a "naughty side" and can blush when their "side is revealed."
Evo said:
I hope you're not speaking from personal experience, although that "Hooter's Girl of the Month" (she was Miss February?) you were dating certainly falls into that category. :devil: :tongue:
Those were purely theoretical considerations of course :uhh: o:)
Was it not miss october ? :tongue2: :biggrin:
Yet, I would not use the term "dating" for this kind of... :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
some said marylyn monroe is the sexiest woman of america, agree?

Smurf said:
Statistics show that about 1 in 10 people are gay, assuming this is equal for men and women, does that mean that only 1 in 5 men are sexy since only 1 in 10 are gay?

Dude, i can make now a statistics company, and make a couple of people with money and celebrites support me, and claim that i found 3 of 5 people are Gods. Still my result is wrong...

From these statistics from? I strongly disagree with it! I ws in the middle east, and i NEVER saw a one person who claim to be gay or lesbain, some claims that they "may" do it if they do not found any women around. [I disagree strongly to that actions as well :grumpy: ]

Anyhow, not my intentsion to make the thread off-track...

sexy is guru awards and PhDs.

Moses: you never saw one person claim to be gay? How are gay people treated in the middle east? I wouldn't claim I was gay either if I was over there and gay.

tribdog said:

Moses: you never saw one person claim to be gay? How are gay people treated in the middle east? I wouldn't claim I was gay either if I was over there and gay.

but i can attest to that in India too, I have never heard of a gay person in all my life, infact the first time I learned what gay meant was when i came online for the first time... but the american culture and my culture is so different, in fact i remember a incident about this...

in india, boys put their arms on each other's shoulder when walking if they are best friends, i am not sure if you can visualize this, but some of my friends came over to the US to work on a software project and when they walked from their hotel to a nearby park, they did the same thing they did back home and put their arms on each other's shoulder, but this time, every time they walked, people started yelling at them and in one case they even threw rocks at them... of course they were very surprised and they thought that americans thought that they were terrorists since they were brown and had Middle Eastern features, and they were even more surprised when I told them about the culture in the US, they just shook their heads in a "how crazy can they be" sort of way... oh well, but the effects of globablization can be well seen in Indian society nowadays, 20 years back, even 5 years back, only a minority had cell phones and students in schools were very obedient, we didn't have any sex-ed classes and that kind of stuff, again this might be surprising to you all, but some of my classmates didn't know that females had breats till they were in 10th grade... but recently, some students in Delhi, very yound, i assume, had sex and captured it in a camera phone and distributed it.. when asked why, they said that they wanted to "be popular" and "have fun." Things are going really bad and as recently as yesterday, a person at IIT university, this sort of like an Indian Harvard or Princeton, mabye even more respected than that, but a student there was arrested for creating cds with that sex video and selling it online...

humanino said:
ya know dude, once you've had hundreds of them, you'll appreciate a little conversation :tongue2:

My girlfriend is a blonde with big tits, and I'm not bored with her. It's not like it's impossible for women of this category to also be intelligent, decent conversationalists.

Moonbear said:
Oh, yes, men can definitely be sexy. I think it has a lot to do with attitude and not much to do with appearance. When they've mastered the perfect gentleman routine holding open doors and always letting the lady walk ahead of them through those doors, know how to be funny and laugh at themselves, when they exude self-confidence but not cockiness, when they know they time to set aside the jokes and be serious, and when they arrive home sweaty from a hard day's work, not just some work-out at the gym, that's sexy. It doesn't hurt if he can cook (a man in the kitchen is very sexy). A little in the appearance department helps too. He shouldn't be completely wimpy and flabby, but being in reasonably good shape with just enough fat so he doesn't look starved (I find "real" looking guys far sexier than those models with six-pack abs...bleck!)

Well, i want to to ask a question, even it might sound dumb:
Do girls in the U.S REALLY take more into consideration the personality and actions of males more than their looks? I find the guys here are far more looking for good looks than personality.

I was in the middle east for a long part in my life with my parents [now i am here back again] I saw the arabs there [both sexes] looking for personality over the looks in their partners, even though males have more concetration on looks, but too far as here.

fourier jr said:
how about the way a girl (woman, etc) walks?

check out this site, it's all about feminine/masculine ways to walk:
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/projects.php

these pages are especially coo; you can see how a tense/relaxed, happy/sad (etc) babe walks:
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLgender.html
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

hahaha, its amazing, but i do not think that i will EVER walk the same walk model they put for "happy" people, when i am happy i do not walk in childish way like that, hahaha :rofl:

loseyourname said:
My girlfriend is a blonde with big tits, and I'm not bored with her. It's not like it's impossible for women of this category to also be intelligent, decent conversationalists.
humanino was referring to the stereotype of "beauty and no brains" and that after being with someone only for their looks for long enough, you'll appreciate someone with brains. Now if they happen to have both... :approve:

tribdog said:

Well, I did live after we moved from the US to there in my childhood, then i am back here (Florida) now, when i was a child and then a teen, it never cross my mind that there is people like that, as i NEVER saw an athiest person in my life, NEVER until i went to UK two years ago for the high school.

Well, honeslty speaking they DO NOT USE THE WORD GAY, they have some people who are attracted to females, but they do some staff with men since they cannot marry or find a girl to have a relatioship with [Yeah, once it happened in my school, but the students never say they are gay, they say they did it to "empty" the desires they have, since they could not find females..etc].

Another way it happenes sometimes there is when they saw a good looking boy who have female features [you know, some feature are common between men and women as attractive] and these guys sometimes have some annyoing staff from people who want to have an affair with them, but no one say that he is attracted to males, they say they attracted to females, but they do so becuase they cannot "sattisfy" their sexual need but in this way [Well, i am strongly strognly disagree with this as well, and may be i gained this attitude from the years i lived their in my grown-ups]

I do not want to change to thread here, but i do think that there is a "gay" in reality, as the term they use in the States, i go with muslims and christians in the middle east [and may be christians in the u.s?] in how they view the isssue. I hope i am not offensive to anybody...

After my two years in UK, and in the US. I saw that we have two different worlds veiwing this issue...so i can say that i "saw" gays after i reached 16 and traveled out of the middle east...

Seeing the action from the middle easterners perspective, you can see that they treat them as they have done something immoral, and highly against honor you can imagine how they treat them, still i found their argument solid, but some actions from some people there are wrong...[well, i am just transfering the picture i saw]

i hope i did not make the thread out of track :biggrin:

Last edited:
sex·y
adj. sex·i·er, sex·i·est
middle aged man in a speedo. :D ... :(

sexy: dark hair, and blue or green eyes. that's all that matters in the world.

...are we still talking about what we think is sexy?

Mmmm, so i have dark hair, and brown eyes, so i am 50% sexy :cry:

Why cry? At least i did not fail the test :biggrin: I am going to put blue lenses to ACE it :rofl:

sexy means enticing,
it is all about sensuality

What makes a women sexy? Weak willed and low self-esteem. Sure it's cute and all to let them think they're people by letting them on the furniture or try on hats at the mall but sooner or later they start to get wild. Before you know, it'll start wanting stuff like equal rights or more than three meals a week. Can you believe? I mean I gave my last girlfriend got a whole 4x4 closet to itself and all I heard from it was "my legs are cramped in here!" or "please don't lock me in here another night!" or "I can't breathe, there isn't enough oxygen in here!" Unfortunately, I had to do away with that one.

For all you women out there: have you accepted the fact that no man love will love you, except for me? Do you feel that without a strong man [like me] you'll just suffer through life? If so, call me. :devil:

out where? :bugeye:

If this question is nonsense, the reason is it comes from non-sense text. [the post above...may be :devil: :biggrin: :bugeye: :uhh: ]

sexy mean kinky

sexy is the adjective of SEX, so, sexy must have something to do with SEX

Mmmm...

ok. I think it is fair enough :bugeye:

Entropy said:
What makes a women sexy? Weak willed and low self-esteem. Sure it's cute and all to let them think they're people by letting them on the furniture or try on hats at the mall but sooner or later they start to get wild. Before you know, it'll start wanting stuff like equal rights or more than three meals a week. Can you believe? I mean I gave my last girlfriend got a whole 4x4 closet to itself and all I heard from it was "my legs are cramped in here!" or "please don't lock me in here another night!" or "I can't breathe, there isn't enough oxygen in here!" Unfortunately, I had to do away with that one.

For all you women out there: have you accepted the fact that no man love will love you, except for me? Do you feel that without a strong man [like me] you'll just suffer through life? If so, call me. :devil:

thumbsup.gif
i will have your babies, right here. right now. because i know that's all I'm here for, but i'll make it extra special for you.

Moses said:
Well, i want to to ask a question, even it might sound dumb:
Do girls in the U.S REALLY take more into consideration the personality and actions of males more than their looks? I find the guys here are far more looking for good looks than personality.

I was in the middle east for a long part in my life with my parents [now i am here back again] I saw the arabs there [both sexes] looking for personality over the looks in their partners, even though males have more concetration on looks, but too far as here.
Many women (myself included) prefer intelligent men to men with just good looks.

The one time I chose looks over intelligence was my ex-husband. Ok, he wasn't exactly stupid, he was pre-med at Yale and graduated from Dartmouth, started his MBA at Harvard (he gave up medicine, he wasn't that smart).

He was a MAJOR mistake. I will go with an intelligent, sweet guy any day over someone that looks like my ex.

Here is my ex.

Attachments

• dman2[1].JPG
    dman2[1].JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 488
Evo, no offense, but if I saw a guy looking like your ex, I'd run the other way! Sure, he's good-looking, but almost too good-looking, if that makes any sense. I don't think I could trust someone that good looking. It requires too much self-indulgence to get a body like that. I'd just be wondering what was hiding behind that smile. But he does fit the stereotypical Ivy League look. All tan and big white smile. He's the sort who I'd be eager to knock down a few pegs if I met him in person. I know, it's stereotyping based on just looks, but that's my honest reaction.

Though, in answer to the question asked about whether women in the US really want intelligent men over good-looking men, it's really no different than whether men want good-looking vs intelligent women. There are shallow people of both sexes who will look for people based only on looks. I guess opposites attracting isn't really all that true. I think like attracts like. Someone only into appearances is going to be interested in other shallow people. Someone who is intelligent will seek other intelligent people.

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.

Moonbear said:
Evo, no offense, but if I saw a guy looking like your ex, I'd run the other way! Sure, he's good-looking, but almost too good-looking, if that makes any sense. I don't think I could trust someone that good looking. It requires too much self-indulgence to get a body like that. I'd just be wondering what was hiding behind that smile. But he does fit the stereotypical Ivy League look. All tan and big white smile. He's the sort who I'd be eager to knock down a few pegs if I met him in person. I know, it's stereotyping based on just looks, but that's my honest reaction.
Actually, he hardly worked out at all, he's naturally muscular. Of course he is athletic, he was first string basketball and made All-American in football, star quarterback, in several tv shows and newspapers he was referred to as the "one man football team", a back injury in college killed his professional hopes. Yeah, he had a shrine to himself, that sickened me a bit. :yuck: But that was several years before this photo was taken, he just naturally looked this way.

But he's typical of the guys that were always hitting on me. I had to seek out the nice, intelligent guys because they would never even approach me. :frown:

Guys, what I'm trying to say is, don't feel that any girl is not in your league, be confident, don't be afraid to approach her. She just might be hoping that someone like you will come along and save her from some arrogant jock!

Evo said:
But he's typical of the guys that were always hitting on me. I had to seek out the nice, intelligent guys because they would never even approach me. :frown:

I've typically experienced the same thing, and we certainly see it among the guys here. The nice, intellectual guys are too nervous to ask the girls out! I think they also see a good-looking woman like you and probably assume you're already taken. Though, I have learned...the nice guys are the ones who don't mind if the woman does the asking.

Saint said:
some said marylyn monroe is the sexiest woman of america, agree?

No. Marilyn Monroe is the sexiest not-that-great actress that prettyboys craced jokes about because they couldn't get their hands on pictures/videos of real women.

If you meant Marilyn Manson, it falls somewhere between unsexiest man and unsexiest woman.

Sex is over rated. My grandfather once told me 'son, sex is a wonderful thing, but you must do something else the other 23h 55m a day'. Granny once told me that men were %99.6528 useless.

Evo said:
Actually, he hardly worked out at all, he's naturally muscular.
:yuck: I've known guys like that. Some can be nice, but most are natural jerks too.

As for me, I'm naturally skinny. :smile:

Chronos said:
Sex is over rated. My grandfather once told me 'son, sex is a wonderful thing, but you must do something else the other 23h 55m a day'.
5 minutes eh? Must hae been magic being married to your grampa.
:biggrin:

Chronos said:
Granny once told me that men were %99.6528 useless.
Yeah but they didn't waste her time.
:biggrin:

perfect match - sumos

Evo,

I too had an extremely good looking boyfriend (back in the 80's) but he wasn't even close to ... 60 on the scale? g? He was gorgeous. I won't say he was stupid, although he wasn't out of Yale like your x-friend, he was out of Soledad prison.

My first husband was a therapist, and difficult to look at. Very bright but no humor. My second husband I blacked out lol.

My third and final husband (i got lucky) is a touch of Einstein with an iq to match, a wilde sense of humor-buckwheat, with that Brad Pitt thang going on in appearance. He was a professional drummer-gittar/physics head. The icing was his soul.

Being with an extremely good-looking male certainly teaches a female that love really is free, not controlling, not jealous, not insecure. It is free. He taught me that. I finally took the choke chain off him long before the wedding vows at the river. The hand-cuffs are a different story :devil:

Kate Jackson is sexier than Marilyn Monroe.

What makes a woman sexy? High heels. Especially those with real skinny stilleto heels. Considering the difficulty in calculating the moments of inertia when carrying a purse filled with enough supplies to cross the desert, the differences in torque created by walking, escpecially across a parking lot on a windy day, you just know a woman in those skinny high heels has to be great at calculus. :rofl:

Okay, the dream woman would be a female math teacher with lively eyes. Decent legs and high heels wouldn't hurt, though.

Edit: And a woman who wears duct tape. http://www.exploremaine.com/~joeho/images/formal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a cross between Einstein and Fabio.
einstein's looks, Fabio's brains.

tribdog said:
I'm a cross between Einstein and Fabio.
einstein's looks, Fabio's brains.

I'd settle for Fabio's sense of romance. Skip his looks and brains, just pull up in a white horse-drawn carriage on a warm summer evening and nobody will notice the rest! :biggrin:

As a keen observer of society, this is what I have concluded:

A sexy woman has full, perky breasts, spotless skin, a well-proportioned figure, a nice smile, a curvy butt, and a submissive nature. Intelligence isn't vital, but it shouldn't be too far below average.

A sexy man has > 6' height, a well-toned figure, a nice smile, a strong voice, a confident and aggressive personality, and a competitive nature. Intelligence is important, and should be above average.

Not all of these aspects are necessary, but the more the merrier, so to speak.

I personally think women are a lot more centered on looks than men are. I hear all sorts of crap women say about how 'oh, his personality is so great'...yeah, well, it just so happens all the good looking guys also have the best personalities? Please. I overhear women a lot saing "oh, he's cute, we should hook up."...and stuff like that.

What is attractive varies greatly from one person to the next. Take for instance that idiot couple Nick and Jessica on tv. That Nick guy is creepy looking. I guess some women find him attractive? :yuck: A lot of men that are supposedly "attractive", I find revolting.

A mans personality and intelligence is what makes him attractive as far as I am concerned. I know a lot of women that would agree.

I find that men usually are more drawn to a woman based first on looks, second on personality and intelligence. I can't count the number of men I know that are in horrible relationships with terrible women but remain with them because "they're hot". :confused:

Last edited: