What is significance of eulers number

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the number 'e' and its relationship to exponential functions. The difference between e^x and 2^x is explained, along with the concept of the natural language of growth. The conversation also mentions a Mathologer video that provides more information on the topic. The main point is that e is the simplest exponential function when it comes to derivatives and has many other useful properties.
rishi kesh
Thread moved by mentor
why is 'e' so important number. e^x is said to be natural language of growth. Why isn't 2^x a 100% growth.Can anyone explain me the difference between both of these and also bit more about number e which known as famous constant.please explain clearly. I will appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm on my phone, so I won't go into detail. One thing special about e^x compared to other exponentials is the slope of the function is the value of the function. I would like to point you to this Mathologer video.
. "e to the pi i for dummies"

Likes I like Serena and FactChecker
scottdave said:
I'm on my phone, so I won't go into detail. One thing special about e^x compared to other exponentials is the slope of the function is the value of the function. I would like to point you to this Mathologer video.
. "e to the pi i for dummies"

The video ia about 15 minutes, but he discusses where e comes from in the first few minutes.

rishi kesh said:
why is 'e' so important number. e^x is said to be natural language of growth. Why isn't 2^x a 100% growth.Can anyone explain me the difference between both of these and also bit more about number e which known as famous constant.please explain clearly. I will appreciate it.
It is the only number, a, where d/dx (ax) = ax. Any other number requires an "e-related" multiplier (like d/dx (2x) = ln(2) ⋅ 2x). So it is the simplest exponential function when it comes to derivatives. Furthermore, the others (like 2x = eln(2)⋅x) are very easy to write in terms of e, so ex is the most basic exponential function.

Likewise, its inverse function, ln(x), has a very simple derivative, 1/x, whereas derivatives of logarithms to any other base require an "e-related" multiplier.

As the link in @scottdave 's post indicates, there are a lot of nice things about ez in the complex plane.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave

1. What is Euler's number and why is it significant?

Euler's number, denoted as e, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is significant because it appears in many mathematical equations and has important applications in fields such as calculus, finance, and physics.

2. How is Euler's number calculated?

Euler's number can be calculated as the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n as n approaches infinity. It can also be expressed as the sum of the infinite series 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ...

3. What is the history behind Euler's number?

Euler's number is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who first introduced it in the 18th century. However, its properties were studied by various mathematicians before Euler, including Jacob Bernoulli and Johann Bernoulli.

4. How is Euler's number related to natural logarithms?

Euler's number is the base of natural logarithms, also known as the natural logarithmic constant. This means that ln(x), the natural logarithm of a number x, is equal to the logarithm of x with a base of e. This relationship is expressed as ln(x) = loge(x).

5. What are some real-life applications of Euler's number?

Euler's number has various applications in mathematics and science. For example, it is used in compound interest calculations in finance, in the equations for population growth and decay in biology, and in the solutions of differential equations in physics. It is also used in the study of fractals and in the development of algorithms for computer programming.