Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is silverlight?

1. Dec 16, 2011 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently got windows 7 operating system. Included is a package called silverlight. What is it for and how does one use it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Microsoft's attempt at Flash.

4. Dec 17, 2011 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is Flash?

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4
  6. Dec 19, 2011 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on the references, I doubt if I could use either without a training program.

7. Dec 19, 2011 #6

Greg Bernhardt

Most likely the package you are asked to install is a plugin to be able to run programs rather than develop.

8. Dec 19, 2011 #7
    the preinstalled Silverlight is simply the run-time environment. It allows you to use websites developed with silverlight. You don't actually do anything with it really as an end user. Just like the Java RTE, its just in the back and will do its thing when you need it.

If you want to develop websites using silverlight, then you will probably end up in an integrated development environment like Visual Studio which will require training.

9. Dec 20, 2011 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I understand the point. So it appears my only concern is to keep Silverlight up-to-date.

10. Dec 20, 2011 #9

Greg Bernhardt

There are very few and they are all via Windows Update function. It's not something to loose sleep over, just install it and move on :)

11. Dec 21, 2011 #10

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never lost any asleep over it. I was just curious as to why it's there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?