What is silverlight?

1. mathman

mathman 6,566
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently got windows 7 operating system. Included is a package called silverlight. What is it for and how does one use it?

2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Microsoft's attempt at Flash.

4. mathman

mathman 6,566
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is Flash?

5. mathman

mathman 6,566
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on the references, I doubt if I could use either without a training program.

6. Greg Bernhardt

Most likely the package you are asked to install is a plugin to be able to run programs rather than develop.

7. the preinstalled Silverlight is simply the run-time environment. It allows you to use websites developed with silverlight. You don't actually do anything with it really as an end user. Just like the Java RTE, its just in the back and will do its thing when you need it.

If you want to develop websites using silverlight, then you will probably end up in an integrated development environment like Visual Studio which will require training.

8. mathman

mathman 6,566
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I understand the point. So it appears my only concern is to keep Silverlight up-to-date.

9. Greg Bernhardt

There are very few and they are all via Windows Update function. It's not something to loose sleep over, just install it and move on :)

10. mathman

mathman 6,566
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never lost any asleep over it. I was just curious as to why it's there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?