Exploring Spacetime: Is There a Center?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space, including whether it is curved around a higher dimension and why there is no center to the universe. Einstein's theory of general relativity and String Theory/M-Theory are mentioned as possible explanations, but there is currently no experimental evidence to support the existence of additional dimensions of space. The idea of space curving back on itself may explain the lack of a center in a finite universe.
bayan
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what is space. I know what it is but rather what my question should be is "Is our 4 Dimensional spacetime raped around anything?"

I have heard that it is curved around a higher dimension, is it true?

And also was wondering why there is no center to the universe? I asked this question to my teacher and he replied to my question with another question which was "If an ant is around a beachball and we tell it to go to the center of the ball will it be able to do so?" But what I don't get is that the ant is only able to move in 2 dimension (x,y) but in reality we are able to move in 3 dimension (x,y,z) and depending on our velocity through (t). so why can't there be a center to the universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
bayan said:
I was just wondering what is space. I know what it is but rather what my question should be is "Is our 4 Dimensional spacetime raped around anything?"

I have heard that it is curved around a higher dimension, is it true?

At the moment, Einstein's theory of general relativity gives the best explanation and that, as you noted, only includes 3 dimensions of space and 1 of time with no other "higher" or "external" dimensions. That's it.

If you check out String Theory/M-Theory, then you'll start seeing models which include additional dimensions of space, but so far there is no experimental evidence to verify that these dimensions exist.

And also was wondering why there is no center to the universe? I asked this question to my teacher and he replied to my question with another question which was "If an ant is around a beachball and we tell it to go to the center of the ball will it be able to do so?" But what I don't get is that the ant is only able to move in 2 dimension (x,y) but in reality we are able to move in 3 dimension (x,y,z) and depending on our velocity through (t). so why can't there be a center to the universe?

There's no center in ordinary 3D space. If space is infinite, then the no-center concept is fairly easy to accept. (As long as you can accept the idea of an expanding infinity!) If space is finite, then there is no center (there is observational evidence for this) through some mechanism of space curving back on itself. That, granted, is tough to imagine, particularly since Einstein's model does not include additional dimensions of space. Perhaps another member here would like to explain how the universe can do that? :smile:

1. What is spacetime and how is it related to our understanding of the universe?

Spacetime is the four-dimensional continuum that combines space and time into a single entity. It is a fundamental concept in modern physics and is crucial to our understanding of the universe, as it describes the fabric of the cosmos and how objects move through it.

2. Is there a center of spacetime?

No, there is no center of spacetime. In fact, according to the theory of relativity, all points in the universe are equally valid reference points. This means that there is no preferred location in the universe and no central point around which everything revolves.

3. How can we explore spacetime?

There are several ways to explore spacetime, including through mathematical models and computer simulations. However, the most direct way is through observing and measuring the effects of spacetime on objects and phenomena in the universe, such as gravitational lensing and the bending of light.

4. Is spacetime infinite or finite?

The current scientific consensus is that spacetime is finite but unbounded. This means that it has a finite volume, but there is no edge or boundary to it. Just like the surface of a sphere, spacetime is curved and has no defined edges.

5. Can we ever fully understand spacetime?

As our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics continues to evolve, we can always strive to deepen our understanding of spacetime. However, it is possible that there are aspects of spacetime that we may never fully comprehend, as it is a complex and mysterious concept that is still being studied and researched by scientists.