Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is Space?

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1
    I am a student of philosophy but I think philosophy is not capable of answering this. My question is, what is our current understanding of the fabric of space? Einstein understood it as a structure in which events happened. Can you suggest papers/books that deal with this? Really appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The consensus in modern cosmology is that there is no "fabric" of space. Space is just a framework in which things happen. It has no substance. It is just geometry. The choice of the word "fabric" by Einstein and then others, was very unfortunate as it leads to much confusion. A fabric and be stretched but space cannot; things (outside of bound systems) just get farther apart

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    Are there any books specifically dealing with this topic?

5. Aug 14, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That one I can't answer, although most any fundamental text on cosmology should cover it. Perhaps one of our members can recommend something specific.

6. Aug 14, 2015 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I like Sean Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. There are also the standard textbooks like MTWs Gravitation.

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6
    So, philosopically speaking, the "absolute nothing" that the philosophers keep talking about is actually space. Right?

8. Feb 20, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think even the philosophers know what they are talking about. Which is why we don't discuss philosophy here.

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Agreed, thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook