Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Super Diffusion?

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    What is Super Diffusion????

I just came up with an article talking about "super diffusion", then I searched the net & came upon the wikipedia article on anomalous diffusion which was very short and not descriptive of the physics behind it...

I will highly appreciate any enlightenment :)

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: What is Super Diffusion????

What's the context? There are multiple situations where the assumptions associated with the diffusion equation break down.

4. Jul 28, 2011 #3

This is the article I had found written by the gemological association of all japan:
    "[URL [Broken]
    http://www.gaaj-zenhokyo.easystockhosting.com/treatment-blue-sapphire-super-diffusion-tanusorn-filling-treatment-cobalt-coloured-lead-glass [Broken]

But this article seems to be talking about a simple filling process not diffusion at all...! The interesting part is the headline which I didn't understand...

Why do the equations of diffusion fail for certain situations? & can you please give an example?

Thanks for the reply :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I looked at the link, and I'm not sure that "super diffusion" has a scientific meaning in this context. It may just be a marketing term.

OK, an example from another field: when people look at small particles (either injected or endogenous) in living cells, they seem to move more than just thermal energy would allow. The excess motion (called "superdiffusive") is caused by the metabolism of the cell.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5

I see...! Thank you very much indeed :)

Is there any example of superdiffusive effect in crystalline solids, like metals or ceramics?

Thanks again

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dopant diffusion in monocrystalline and polycrystalline silicon has been closely studied due to the importance of doping in the semiconductor industry. Whenever people see any unusual dopant transport, they call it "anomalous diffusion" or sometimes "superdiffusion." But there are myriad possible origins: built-in electric fields, dislocations, very large concentration gradients, etc. I'm not familiar enough to review the mechanisms, but there are review articles out there.

8. Jul 29, 2011 #7

I see!!!

Thanks a lot Mapes, You've been very helpful :)

9. Oct 9, 2011 #8

Hello Mapes,
    am interested in this subject, can you give any reference material to your last post.
    thanks

10. Oct 10, 2011 #9

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have nothing on hand; try Google Scholar, that's what I'd use to start gathering information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook