What Is Absolute Zero & Maximum Temperature?

In summary, according to the relative theory, does it mean the highest tempearture in our world is the one when all the molecular's velocity is equal to light's?moleculars' motion are stopped at absolute zero. according to the relative theory, does it mean the highest tempearture in our world is the one when all the molecular's velocity is equal to light's?The highest possible temperature, called the Planck temperature, is equal to 10^32 degrees Kelvin. There would haft to be an absolute temperature cause there is only so much energy in the universe to fuel it. We can't creat more energy but we can transform it.
ark
moleculars' motion are stopped at absolute zero.
according to the relative theory, does it mean the highest tempearture in our world is the one when all the molecular's velocity is equal to light's?

Science news on Phys.org
ark said:
moleculars' motion are stopped at absolute zero.
according to the relative theory, does it mean the highest tempearture in our world is the one when all the molecular's velocity is equal to light's?

First, at absolute zero molecule's motion doesn't stop. This is a common misconception, and the reasoning is quantum-mechanical and you can read it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

As far as the second point, no there is no highest temperature. You're right, a molecule's velocity cannot exceed the speed of light, but temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules. According to relativity there isn't a limit on kinetic energy, so temperature can in that sense be infinite.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that due to GR, if your energy density gets too high (corresponding to too high a temperature in a sense), things collapse into a black hole so this could provide a temperature upper bound, but I'm not sure about that.

Cheers!

thanks for your answer.
temperature is too difficult for me to grasp.
:(

may i say kinetic energy of a substance at absolute zero is at the lowest level that it can't transfer to any other substance.

kinetic energy is defined as E=1/2*m*v^2.
E=0 only if v=0.
molecule's motion doesn't stop at absolute zero. that means v>0, and E>0.
so, may i say absolute zero is a 'relative' lowest energy level accorrding to the zeroth law of thermodynamics.
and is it possible has the TRUE absolute zero that all molecule's motions was stopped?

ark said:
may i say kinetic energy of a substance at absolute zero is at the lowest level that it can't transfer to any other substance.

kinetic energy is defined as E=1/2*m*v^2.
E=0 only if v=0.
molecule's motion doesn't stop at absolute zero. that means v>0, and E>0.
so, may i say absolute zero is a 'relative' lowest energy level accorrding to the zeroth law of thermodynamics.
and is it possible has the TRUE absolute zero that all molecule's motions was stopped?

I think you should read the article again. Also, if you're going to be wondering about the upper limit on temperature you should use the relativistic definition of KE:
[tex]E_{k}=mc^{2}(\gamma-1)[/tex]
So you can see that there is no upper bound on kinetic energy.

Nabeshin said:
I think you should read the article again. Also, if you're going to be wondering about the upper limit on temperature you should use the relativistic definition of KE:
[tex]E_{k}=mc^{2}(\gamma-1)[/tex]
So you can see that there is no upper bound on kinetic energy.

Except for the fact that there is a finite amount of energy in the universe... right?

ark said:
temperature is too difficult for me to grasp.
:(
Ignoring quantum and relativistic effects, your original post was pretty much correct.

The highest possible temperature, called the Planck temperature, is equal to 10^32 degrees Kelvin.

there would haft to be an absolute temperature cause there is only so much energy in the universe to fuel it. we can't creat more energy but we can transform it.

1. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion stops. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

2. How was absolute zero discovered?

Absolute zero was first theorized by French physicist Guillaume Amontons in 1702, and later confirmed through experiments by scientists such as Lord Kelvin and James Joule in the 19th century.

3. What are some practical applications of absolute zero?

Absolute zero is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in cryogenics (the study of extremely low temperatures) for preserving biological materials and testing materials at low temperatures, and in superconductivity research for creating materials with no electrical resistance.

4. What is the maximum temperature?

The maximum temperature is often referred to as the Planck temperature, which is the highest temperature that can theoretically exist according to the laws of physics. It is approximately 1.416 x 10^32 Kelvin.

5. Can anything reach absolute zero or the maximum temperature?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, it is impossible for any object to reach absolute zero. On the other hand, it is also impossible for any object to reach the maximum temperature. As an object approaches absolute zero, its temperature decreases and approaches zero, but never quite reaches it. Similarly, as an object approaches the maximum temperature, its temperature increases but never reaches the Planck temperature.