1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is tension in stat mech?

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My stat mech book does a problem where it calculate this quantity F for a system of particles restricted to move in one dimensions using the equation [itex] F = \frac{\partial A}{\partial L} [/itex] where A is the helmholtz free energy. What I am confused about is that I thought F represented tensions, and does tension make sense when you have just a collection of particles moving in 1D i.e. I thought tensions only made sense in the context of strings?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2
    The first law of thermodynamics states that

U = dQ + dW (depending on how you define it)

The dW can be replaced with fdL as a unit of work and when the Helmholtz free energy is differentiated with respect to L at a constant temperature, you get the result for the tension.

The system of particles interact with each other, and moving them from the equilibrium position requires a force, as they will try and return to the equilibrium and this is the tension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?