Is Time the Fourth Dimension in Euclidean Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a fourth dimension and whether time can be considered as this fourth dimension. It is mentioned that time is often perceived as a separate and important dimension, but it is argued that it is just another degree of motion. The conversation also touches on the idea of space and time being intertwined and how this is represented in a 4D space-time manifold. It is also mentioned that Maxwell's equations can be simplified in 4 dimensions and that time may not necessarily be the fourth dimension, but rather just another dimension within a higher dimensional space.
TheAlkemist
Is it the additional dimension, Time, added to the Euclidean (x,y,z) 3-D space? Or does it even make sense to ask this question? And instead consider 4D space-time (Minkowski Space) as a manifold in which 3D is embedded?
I'm confused. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding of the 4th dimension is that it is just another degree of motion. We just perceive it as time. As you know the first 3 dimensions are just different ways of moving: up down, left right, forward and backwards. I usually just think of the 4th as future past. We call it a temporal dimension because we perceive it as time. And this time is very important to us as humans so we separate it from the other spatial dimensions.

Again this is just my understanding of the 4TH DIMENSION.

What do you mean by 'dimension'?
(I guess it boils down to asking if a time directed vector is linearly independent with the set of whatever space dimensions we have)

Jerbearrrrrr said:
What do you mean by 'dimension'?
(I guess it boils down to asking if a time directed vector is linearly independent with the set of whatever space dimensions we have)

I think I might understand it better now after reading an article describing a manifold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold

So I guess by 'dimension' I mean, the dimension on the specific manifold, in which case the 4th dimension would be time in the $D Minkowski Space-time manifold?

What do you mean by linearly independent?

Thanks

Each dimension is orthogonal or perpendicular, they can't be described in terms of a linear combination of any other dimension. Time is one of 4 dimensions required to describe the position of something in space-time.

For example, if you want to tell someone where you party is, you say:

Go to the apartment complex on Dana Dr, and Hilltop (Dimensions X, and Y)
Then go to the 8th Floor (Dimension Z)
The party is at 9pm (Dimension T)

The 4 dimensions make a unique vector that describes where you party is located in space-time.

If you where to increase X, Y, Z, or T by too much the party will no longer be at that location. Say you increase Y by 100 meters, well you would end up on the wrong street. If you increase T by 10 hours, you would be far too late.

LostConjugate said:
Each dimension is orthogonal or perpendicular, they can't be described in terms of a linear combination of any other dimension. Time is one of 4 dimensions required to describe the position of something in space-time.

For example, if you want to tell someone where you party is, you say:

Go to the apartment complex on Dana Dr, and Hilltop (Dimensions X, and Y)
Then go to the 8th Floor (Dimension Z)
The party is at 9pm (Dimension T)

The 4 dimensions make a unique vector that describes where you party is located in space-time.

If you where to increase X, Y, Z, or T by too much the party will no longer be at that location. Say you increase Y by 100 meters, well you would end up on the wrong street. If you increase T by 10 hours, you would be far too late.

OK. That's what I was trying to clarify (the highlighted statement above)
Thanks

TheAlkemist said:
Is it the additional dimension, Time, added to the Euclidean (x,y,z) 3-D space? Or does it even make sense to ask this question? And instead consider 4D space-time (Minkowski Space) as a manifold in which 3D is embedded?
I'm confused. :(

It is meaningful to speak of Time as another dimension along with Space, not merely as a way of labeling independent degrees of freedom, but as part of an unbroken whole.

In particular, space and time can get mixed up with each other. Your time axis is "diagonal" to mine, containing part time and part space from my point of view.

Translating between reference frames is performing a rotation in 4 dimensions. The negative sign complicates things so you get hyperbolas instead of circles, but the math works.

Likewise, Maxwell's equations reduce to "one thing" in 4 dimensions, making it very simple, rather than having separate rules for E and B.

So yes, space-time is meaningfully a 4 dimensional entity.

--John

JDługosz said:
It is meaningful to speak of Time as another dimension along with Space, not merely as a way of labeling independent degrees of freedom, but as part of an unbroken whole.

In particular, space and time can get mixed up with each other. Your time axis is "diagonal" to mine, containing part time and part space from my point of view.

Translating between reference frames is performing a rotation in 4 dimensions. The negative sign complicates things so you get hyperbolas instead of circles, but the math works.

Likewise, Maxwell's equations reduce to "one thing" in 4 dimensions, making it very simple, rather than having separate rules for E and B.

--John

This makes sense. Thanks!

JDługosz said:

--John

Curious... Can you post a link to these new equations? I might have read about this before, I can't remember. Does it do away with the B field?

It still contains the same amount of information, just presented in a much nicer form. E and B are still encoded in the tensors.

The fourth dimension is obviously another direction, or 2 more directions in space. Time is a dimension. But, not the fourth dimension. When we have the first, second, and third established as space then all others will also be space, time may be a dimension, I for one would not call it the fourth dimension though.
The fourth dimension refers to a new direction of movement, unthinkable in our 3D programed brains.

1. What is the 4th dimension?

The 4th dimension refers to a theoretical extra dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our daily lives. It is often described as the dimension of time.

2. How is the 4th dimension different from the other dimensions?

The 4th dimension is different from the other dimensions in that it is not directly observable or accessible to us in the same way that the other dimensions are. We can only perceive it through the passage of time and its effects on the other dimensions.

3. Can humans experience the 4th dimension?

No, humans cannot directly experience the 4th dimension in the same way that we experience the other dimensions. However, our perception of time and our ability to remember the past and anticipate the future are thought to be influenced by the 4th dimension.

4. How do scientists study the 4th dimension?

Scientists study the 4th dimension through mathematical models and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, which describe the relationship between space and time. They also conduct experiments and observations to study the effects of time on the other dimensions.

5. Is the 4th dimension a proven concept?

The existence of the 4th dimension is still a subject of debate and exploration in the scientific community. While theories and evidence suggest its existence, it has not been directly observed or proven through experiments. Further research and advancements in technology may help us better understand the 4th dimension in the future.