What is the about equivalence of ?

• Thread starter Cmertin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary: Orders_of_magnitude_(energy)In summary, 177 MeV is roughly equivalent to 350 million times the energy in a molecule of glucose.
Cmertin
Ok, well I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but it has to do with energy and nuclear physics. I have to present why we should use nuclear energy, though no one in the class knows a lot about it. I am going to be using the example of getting nuclear energy from U-235/92. I have the formula and the end result is around 177MeV, though I don't know how I could explain this to them. Do you know an approximate equivalence to what would be around 177MeV in everyday life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
DaleSwanson said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(energy)

177 MeV = 2.8 * 10-11J.

The lowest energy item on that list seems to be "2 * 10-5 J, the energy to pronounce an average syllable of a word." That is about 714,286 times as much.

Just the site I was looking for, THANKS

Cmertin said:
This has to do with energy and nuclear physics. I have to present why we should use nuclear energy, though no one in the class knows a lot about it. I am going to be using the example of getting nuclear energy from U-235/92. I have the formula and the end result is around 177MeV, though I don't know how I could explain this to them. Do you know an approximate equivalence to what would be around 177MeV in everyday life?
For comparison, dynamite contains about 4000 joules per gram, or roughly 0.5 eV (electron volts) per atom. The uranium contains about 177 million eV per atom, or about 350 million times as much energy per atom as dynamite. For comparison, 1 molecule of glucose (Gram molecular weight = 180) contains about 30 eV of energy (released during metabolism).

1. What is the equivalence of two variables?

The equivalence of two variables means that they have the same value or meaning in a given context. This can also refer to two different expressions or equations that have the same solution or result.

2. How is equivalence different from equality?

Equivalence and equality are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in mathematics. Equality means that two things are exactly the same, while equivalence means that two things have the same value or meaning in a given context.

3. Can two things be equivalent in one context but not in another?

Yes, two things can be equivalent in one context but not in another. For example, 1 mile is equivalent to 1.6 kilometers, but 1 mile is not equivalent to 1.6 meters. It all depends on the context in which the comparison is being made.

4. How is equivalence used in scientific research?

In scientific research, equivalence is often used to compare different treatments or interventions. For example, a new medication may be tested to see if it is equivalent to an existing medication in terms of effectiveness. This helps researchers determine if the new treatment is a viable alternative.

5. What is the role of equivalence in statistics?

In statistics, equivalence is used to determine if two groups or samples are significantly different from each other. This is important in research studies to ensure that any differences observed are not due to chance, but rather to a true difference between the groups.