What is the acceleration of a point on the circumference of the disk?

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a point on the circumference of a disk, which is being accelerated by a hanging mass. The force exerted on the disk is not simply its weight, but the difference between the weight and the string tension. Through equations for torque and force, it is possible to determine the acceleration in terms of tension and other constants. The final solution is a = 2m.g/(2m+M).
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

http://urlcut.com/katrolafbeelding.gif

What is the accelaration of a point on the circumference of the disk?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = F.R = I.[tex]\alpha[/tex]

I = M.R²/2

a = R.[tex]\alpha[/tex]

F(z) = m.g

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass exerts a force F(z) = m.g on the disk. This force is what puts the disk into motion with [tex]\tau[/tex] = F(z).R = m.g.R (1)

Also, as I = M.R²/2 and a = R.[tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] = I.[tex]\alpha[/tex]
==> [tex]\tau[/tex] = M.R.a/2 (2)

Out of (1) & (2):

m.g.R = M.R.a/2 <=> m.g = M.a/2 <=> a = 2m.g/M

The acceleration asked for is a = 2m.g/M

But the teacher's solution says: [tex]\frac{2m.g}{2m+M}[/tex]

What have I done wrong?

Attachments

• katrol.png
    katrol.png
    727 bytes · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't view your problem or picture yet, but if this is a disk being accelerated by a hanging mass, the force exerted on the disk is not mg. The mass and disk are connected by a string, and it's the string tension which accelerates the disk. The string's tension and the weight cannot be the same, or else the hanging object would be at rest.

You can't view the picture? What does it say when you click it. (EDIT: made visible)

Also, it said that the rope was without mass. I'm not really familiar with string tension. There is no information given about the string tension coëfficient (if something like that exists, at least), its length, girth, etc... I don't see how it fits in.

Last edited:
Draw a free-body diagram of the hanging mass. There are two forces acting on it. This will give you an expression for a in terms of tension T and other constants. Same goes for a torque expression for the disk. 2 equations with 2 unknowns.

I can't see the picture yet because it must be approved by the forum moderators first.

Oh I see... So the string tension is somewhat like the normal force of suspended objects. (probably a bad analogy, but yeah...)

So the force acting on the disk is not the gravitational force nor the string tension, but the difference between the two. So:

m.g - L = m.a <=> L = m.g - m.a = m(g-a) (1)

And we also had the equation [tex]\tau[/tex] = L.R = I.[tex]\alpha[/tex]
and we get (after substitution using the other equations):

L = M.a/2 (2)

Out of (1) & (2):

m(g-a) = M.a/2 <=> m.g - m.a = M.a/2 <=> 2m.g = M.a + 2m.a <=> a = [tex]\frac{2m.g}{2m+M}[/tex]

THANKS!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It measures how quickly the velocity of an object is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (v2-v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in speed or direction of an object moving in a straight line. Angular acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the change in rotational speed or direction of an object moving in a circular path.

4. How does the acceleration of a point on the circumference of a disk relate to the disk's overall motion?

The acceleration of a point on the circumference of a disk is directly related to the disk's rotational motion. As the disk rotates, each point on its circumference experiences the same angular acceleration, but different linear accelerations depending on their distance from the center of the disk.

5. Can the acceleration of a point on the circumference of a disk change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a point on the circumference of a disk can change over time. This can occur if the disk's rotational speed changes or if the direction of rotation changes, resulting in a change in the angular acceleration of the point.