Acceleration of Sound & Velocity vs. Acceleration

In summary, acceleration is the change of a velocity over an amount of time. Velocity is the speed of a moving object.
mapa
What is the acceleration of sound and what is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

I was researching online the acceleration of sound but I found no answer. I want to calculate
the force of sound using F=ma, but I could not figure out the acceleration of sound. Along with trying to solve this problem I began thinking the difference between acceleration and velocity. I know the v=m/s and a=m/s^2. But if could someone please expand on what acceleration is and the main difference between velocity and acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sound is a wave. It doesn't have an acceleration. Acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity.

Acceleration is the change of a velocity over an amount of time.

russ_watters said:
Sound is a wave. It doesn't have an acceleration. Acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity.

Hello and sorry to pull this question out of the depths of age. But I was reasearching a similar thing.

My issue with the quoted statement above is that, acceleration and velocity exist in sound especially considering common sounds are generated from a starting point.

Not to mention the notion of time is actually age which ='s change of velocity over age or in the case of sound, age and distance traveled.

russ_watters said:

It has to be true that you could find the velocity in one medium, then in the next medium and then measure the time taken to cross the interface. Applying 'the formula' would give you an answer and it would be in metres per second squared BUT would this number be of any consequence? How wide would you say that the interface was? Your answer for acceleration would depend entirely on this choice but, if you said the interface has zero width, then the acceleration would be INFINITE. What would be the point?

This is rather like many problems involving collisions of solid objects. They do change velocity during a collision but we would usually approach the problem in a way that didn't actually need to involve accelerations because the forces / distortions are not necessarily relevant to the answer. You can do it another way.

mapa said:
What is the acceleration of sound and what is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

I was researching online the acceleration of sound but I found no answer. I want to calculate
the force of sound using F=ma, but I could not figure out the acceleration of sound. Along with trying to solve this problem I began thinking the difference between acceleration and velocity. I know the v=m/s and a=m/s^2. But if could someone please expand on what acceleration is and the main difference between velocity and acceleration.

Maybe if you specify what do you mean by "the force of sound" it will be a little more clear.
The particles of the medium propagating a sound wave move with a variable velocity so they do have accelerations.
The sound wave itself propagates with constant speed in a homogenous medium so there is no acceleration associated.
Are you looking for the force exerted by a sound wave on a surface, maybe?

nasu said:
Maybe if you specify what do you mean by "the force of sound" it will be a little more clear.
The particles of the medium propagating a sound wave move with a variable velocity so they do have accelerations.
The sound wave itself propagates with constant speed in a homogenous medium so there is no acceleration associated.
Are you looking for the force exerted by a sound wave on a surface, maybe?

This guy is money right here. Nasu must be right when saying is he looking for "force exerted by a sound on a surface."

waves propogate from the origin, they do not accelerate.
Sound waves propogate at the speed of sound - in whatever medium involved.

A good time to wait for a reaction from mapa, perhaps?

1. What is the definition of sound acceleration?

Sound acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of sound changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly sound waves travel through a medium.

2. How does the acceleration of sound vary with temperature?

The acceleration of sound is directly proportional to the temperature of the medium it is traveling through. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, while acceleration measures how quickly its velocity is changing.

4. How does sound acceleration affect the pitch of a sound?

The acceleration of sound does not directly affect the pitch of a sound. However, changes in the speed of sound due to temperature or other factors can affect the pitch of a sound.

5. Can sound travel faster than its acceleration?

No, sound cannot travel faster than its own acceleration. This is because the acceleration of sound is the maximum rate at which sound waves can travel through a medium.